Price increase question

Kris W

Re: Price increase question

Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:58 pm

I emailed Collings late last year and ask for a then current price list for the Collings and their Waterloo lines. They responded back the same day and sent me both lists.

pto

Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:18 pm

with the exceptions of the cases, which were not called out separately on the jan 2019 price list, the list prices have not changed from then. the change is in the policy: the dealers must now advertise list price. ...i think...

Eric Jones

Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:59 am

pto wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:18 pm ...the change is in the policy: the dealers must now advertise list price. ...i think...
No. The dealers must sell at list price.

pto

Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:05 pm

what we said is indeed 100% correct. but yes, there is more to be airtight: dealers must also sell at the MAP (which is now list). the original emails from dealers i know were in terms of MAP.

Fidalgo

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:15 am

The fact that Collings has decided to do away with the 10% discount (which equates to a price increase) has become almost controversial to some people. I am not sure why it is such a big deal. It's not like Collings has priced themselves out of the market or even beyond their niche competitors. The Traditionals and the Martin Authentics occupy the same price range, both new and used. A Martin D28 Authentic 1937 Aged top sells for about $6K, and so does a D2HAT. The Sitka topped D1 is selling for about $4300. A H&D TDM Sitka is in the $3500-3800 range (and comes with that Godawful yellow tweed case). A Sitka Bourgeois Country Boy is about $4200. The SCGC Vintage Artist, with Sitka top, tops them all at about $5500.

kerrykrishna

Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:53 am

I'd also would like to know who is right now in charge of the shop.
In the month following Bill's death, I was talking a bit to Steve ( I think, my memory is a bit off) and he said those decisions would be announced soon, but soon never came.
I suspect that the Shop may be being run buy all the department heads collectively these days.

In Collings Enthusiasts news for those interested, I contacted Alex a free days ago. I told him that there are now around 10/12 Collings employees on the site, but information is thin on the ground. Over there, it is rare that a single week goes by were I do not have to post "These questions and conversations are all fine and good, but until someone from Colling Shop actually pops in to this thread, and clears this up , it's all hearsay."
I asked Alex if it would begin to be possible that someone from the Shop would be willing to pop over maybe once a week, and straighten out any Collings policy questions. Alex has not gotten back to me on that yet. There are currently ( if memory serves) 4 threads up asking for Adult Supervision from the shop.

The Enthusiasts site ( meaning me) got in quite a bit of trouble last year from information shared that was totally wrong, but had been gleaned off of Old Collings Forum off of several agreeing threadsamd was agreed to be true.
If Collings shop had popped onto that thread and said something/anything, it would not have happened. A few years back, when Collins policy changed with regards to their employees joining on Social Media sites and actually posting answers, it was a terrific thing.
At this point though, I wonder if that policy has changed again?

Also as a last thing, Buck has posted a few new pictures on the Enthusiasts site of a new receptionist, and I am wondering were Angela is? Greg Yavorski seems to be the 'Go To' Guy on all things Collings shop, so I guess he will know.

It is always so nice coming back over here like the Old Days and hobnobbing with so many 'more knowledgable' about Collings folks than me. It feels again like I am surrounded by friends who all have each other's back.
I am so glad this site is around.

Greg Y

Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:46 pm

Hey Kerry, I'm not really that in-the-know, but Tanya has been at the front desk for a couple of years now. I believe that Angela, as always, works with the dealers. I'm hoping i can make it to Austin in October/November....as the weather is always better than in Alberta that time of year & there are always friends to catch up with.