Collings Made Case Information *UPDATE*

markT

Re: Collings Made Case Information *UPDATE*

Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:52 am

Aaahhhh.....all is well in Collings Case land. 8-)

ogradyboy

Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:40 am

Now that I have a Collings-made case for my C10-SS let me be one of the first to flood the market with a “mint-condition” TKL case for sale 🙂

JC510

Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:10 pm

I just bought a D2H on Layaway and was really disappointed to learn about the TKL switch. All of my current guitar cases are in a pile in the garage so I let it go, I'm buying a beautiful guitar.

Greg Y

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:50 am

Disappointment aside...... at least there is a D case. Just think of the poor 12 fret 00 & 000 players :)

ataylor

Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:38 pm

This is a disappointing move — if they’re not supplying the Collings cases with the standard acoustic guitars, I think they ought to knock about $500 back off the price.

Back when they introduced the cases and started including them with the base models, they raised the price $300–500 which seemed like a fair move with the premium case. Now it seems they’ve raised the prices another $500 and have downgraded the case, which means one is paying about a grand more for the same thing that was offered just a couple years ago.

pto

Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:08 pm

the cases were eating them alive with the original approach. PLUS, the cases became a big, and i mean big, bottleneck; so much so, that dealers were asking Collings to ship the guitars they had ordered with TKL so they could at least get some product. and one thing Collings is not in a position to do, is expand the case factory. i think i'd rather see them turn a profit so they can keep making exceptional guitars. the cases ARE to die for, for me at least.:)

Fidalgo

Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:46 am

ataylor wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:38 pm This is a disappointing move — if they’re not supplying the Collings cases with the standard acoustic guitars, I think they ought to knock about $500 back off the price.

Back when they introduced the cases and started including them with the base models, they raised the price $300–500 which seemed like a fair move with the premium case. Now it seems they’ve raised the prices another $500 and have downgraded the case, which means one is paying about a grand more for the same thing that was offered just a couple years ago.
And they're worth every penny...the guitars and the cases.

ataylor

Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:52 pm

Fidalgo wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:46 am
ataylor wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:38 pm This is a disappointing move — if they’re not supplying the Collings cases with the standard acoustic guitars, I think they ought to knock about $500 back off the price.

And they're worth every penny...the guitars and the cases.
They’re fine guitars and I don’t doubt the cases are wonderful.

But knowing that one could get a D1 new with TKL case for $3500ish not long ago and the same D1 model with a Collings case for $4k or so even more recently makes paying $4500 for the D1 — now without the worth-every-penny Collings case — seem a bit less palatable.

Haasome

Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:14 pm

The current Collings pricing is very much in line with the cost of comparable instruments like Santa Cruz and Bourgeois — which have also raised prices recently. Prices change, that’s just how it goes. Fortunately there are many choices in the marketplace and we get to buy what we like. Collings are still a fabulous value IMO.
Paul

ataylor

Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:21 pm

Haasome wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:14 pm The current Collings pricing is very much in line with the cost of comparable instruments like Santa Cruz and Bourgeois — which have also raised prices recently. Prices change, that’s just how it goes. Fortunately there are many choices in the marketplace and we get to buy what we like. Collings are still a fabulous value IMO.
Yeah, I think Santa Cruz made a pretty steep jump a few years back and the comparable small shop brands have fallen in step — Collings included. I completely understand that this is — compared to the vast majority of guitars made — a premium, luxury brand and if the market will bear the price increases, it is what it is.