What CAPO?!?

Greg Y

Re: What CAPO?!?

Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:44 pm

Rudy (elkabong) Both Myhre's Music in Edmonton & Folkway Music in Ont have Elliott capos. IMO a finer capo than the G7..... the $ difference doesn't tell the whole story. You've got a lot of great guitars...a few bucks more on a capo won't kill you.

..... from one Cdn to another

19th Avenue Tone

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:47 pm

I decided to try the Shubb Fine Tune - which Artisan Guitars have in stock. It works great. I was used to the Paige Clik mechanism, so there are a few more turns required to shift / adjust the capo. I'm still experimenting with the best location behind the fret for best tone. This is a good match for my OM1 1 & 3/4" nut width.

Mwyates

Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:52 pm

The Shubb Fine Tune is a really nice alternative for $75.

Silly Moustache

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:45 am

Hi guys.

I have ... a number of Collings guitars, and other similar value instruments, because I appreciate good quality. I use Blue chip icks, and change my strings frequently.

I've used the basic Shubb capos - C1b ? - and they work just fine. I'm not against spending if something improves my playing/performing/enjoyment, so would someone care to explain why I should buy those Eliott/ McKinney capos? I'd really like to understand.

Thanks, Ol' Andy.

Greg Y

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:42 am

"someone care to explain why I should buy those Eliott/ McKinney capos? I'd really like to understand." Ol Andy
Andy, I don't think you should dump your Shubbs. I'd be the last person to try to convince you. (You know the saw "old dogs, new tricks")
My personal experience is pre-internet. First of all it's a quality product of beautiful design, made by an individual who is also a musician. I've always phoned, spoken to Connie, Phil Elliott's wife (he was out in the shop making capos). Phil made a 1 7/8" to fit my 1937 00-18H. Fit & worked perfectly. I've used the push button, the latch version & currently use 2 brass Elites like the one Kenny Smith showed me. I ordered a banjo capo on short order for a friend's birthday....& shipped from Texas it arrived in Canada on time. Connie shipped one to me via Angela at Collings once...because I was going to be in Texas for a Collings Gathering. Scott, ( Phil's son) has taken over the business & is doing a great job with the same family style of first class customer service. There is less first class artisan work being appreciated (financially) these days. I prefer to support artists, be they musicians, luthiers or others rather than large companies who outsource. Not everything we buy can be quantified by the 'cheaper must be better'.' That's my story & why I use Elliott capos

pjkesq

Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:07 pm

Greg Y wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:42 am "someone care to explain why I should buy those Eliott/ McKinney capos? I'd really like to understand." Ol Andy
Andy, I don't think you should dump your Shubbs. I'd be the last person to try to convince you. (You know the saw "old dogs, new tricks")
My personal experience is pre-internet. First of all it's a quality product of beautiful design, made by an individual who is also a musician. I've always phoned, spoken to Connie, Phil Elliott's wife (he was out in the shop making capos). Phil made a 1 7/8" to fit my 1937 00-18H. Fit & worked perfectly. I've used the push button, the latch version & currently use 2 brass Elites like the one Kenny Smith showed me. I ordered a banjo capo on short order for a friend's birthday....& shipped from Texas it arrived in Canada on time. Connie shipped one to me via Angela at Collings once...because I was going to be in Texas for a Collings Gathering. Scott, ( Phil's son) has taken over the business & is doing a great job with the same family style of first class customer service. There is less first class artisan work being appreciated (financially) these days. I prefer to support artists, be they musicians, luthiers or others rather than large companies who outsource. Not everything we buy can be quantified by the 'cheaper must be better'.' That's my story & why I use Elliott capos
I love this! I have been playing acoustic guitar since 1976. The search for a capo I was satisfied with was like my holy grail. I tried them all! Shubs, G7th, Thalia.. you name it, I have owned it. I was never satisfied till I found Elliot Capos. Craftmanship and customer service is unparalleled. Phil built four of them for me each specifically for the specs of my guitar neck and how high up on the guitar I wanted to capo. I have never used or wanted another Capo since I found Elliot Capos.

Dotneck

Sun May 03, 2020 5:20 pm

Can you store the Elliots behind the nut on guitars with a volute?

Greg Y

Sun May 03, 2020 6:02 pm

Yes you can
IMG_0767.JPG
IMG_0767.JPG (141 KiB) Viewed 5855 times
0-2.jpg
0-2.jpg (40.4 KiB) Viewed 5855 times