Why so little discussion on the City Limits models?!

fstrat76

Re: Why so little discussion on the City Limits models?!

Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:06 pm

When researching my first Collings, I was drawn to the CL Deluxe, not because it looked like a LP. In fact, the sound of today's LP is boring to me, and I never liked the playability, not to mention the quality. So I wanted something different. I researched the CL and watched videos and, at the time, most videos were all demonstrating the CL through clean or lite crunch settings, so I can see how one might think the guitar is "polite".

Because of that, I wasn't sure if I should buy, but decided and bought my first CL Deluxe with Lollar Imperial Standards used and tried it through various amps. It sounded and played as I had hoped. When I put it through a hi gain amp (Orange Rockerverb MkIII), it sounds tight, with excellent response. When I play it through a Friedman Smallbox on the BE channel and an OX Amp Top, again, it sounds great. When I play it through a JC-120 clean - amazing.

This year I purchased another CL Deluxe, also with Lollar Imperial Standards. I am going to swap out the pickups on one CL and put in Throbaks eventually.

To me, the most amazing thing is the quality and stability. It's rare that I have to adjust my CL (or any of my other Collings actually). The tuning stability is top notch (unlike most Gibsons).

So the CL is my number one for recording and live. It's an amazing piece.

elambo

Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:23 pm

I didn't refer to it as polite because of its clean tones, in fact I typically use a Les Paul type guitar for more edge, so my comment was primarily in reference to its distorted sound. There seems to be a range in the voicing of earlier CLs. Maybe that changed later in their production run as people do seem to compare it more favorably to Les Pauls than I did with my particular guitar (though, as mentioned, I did just about everything possible to tweak its tone).

BTW I love the OX that you mentioned. It's been my go-to for hardware amps for the past year, however, yesterday I got a Strymon Iridium and it's entirely impressive. It's a different beast than the OX but for anyone interested in guitar amps it's a very serious product and worth a look/listen. It could change live gigging in a big way. I know a few people who'd become tired of hauling heavy amps and weren't happy with Line6 or similar products. This little guy sounds legit and is ultra compact (which might actually be its only downfall).

alphasports

Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:18 pm

'Cause we're too busy playing them!
FWIW I yanked the Lollars and put in SD '59's, quite a bit hotter.

------------------------------------------
Collings CL Deluxe
PRS Studio
Gibson ES137 Classic
Ovation 1778T Elite USA
Martin 000-17SM

Buddy Shagmore

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:09 pm

I was just getting some quality time in with my City Limits. C-Virus out there means more guitar time in here. So I played my 4 LP types back to back. CL, PRS core Singlecut, Cloud 9 '58 Historic CR8, and Grosh Set Neck. All unplugged. All have a different feel, and all are very fine instruments. Yet I will say that I reach for the CL the most these days. It is just so playable. The pickguard lays flatter to the body than the Gibson, and the subtle body cut is a nice touch. The neck carve, along with the Grosh, is just perfection for me. If there could only be one...I would prefer the City Limits above all.

nl_3

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:37 am

ImageI just got a City Limits Deluxe from CME and it’s one of the best guitars I’ve ever played. Has the Throbak set in it, Pelham Blue, double parallelogram inlays, really insane guitar. I think it is much more focused and clearer, especially in the neck, than my old R8 I had. My R8 really struggled with the neck pickup and wouldn’t hold tune very well especially when on the road for gigs. I am so happy to finally have a Collings again after all this time. Had an I35 3 years ago and toured with it but when I came off the road and had bills due and had to pay tax man, I had to sell something and the I35 was unfortunately what I was forced to sell. It’s been the one that got away but this CL Deluxe is making me forget all about it.
Attachments
A052301C-1418-41DE-AAB1-13720FE3072A.jpeg
A052301C-1418-41DE-AAB1-13720FE3072A.jpeg (131.08 KiB) Viewed 8243 times

alphasports

Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:06 pm

deamhanfola wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:42 pm So, in conclusion, I wouldn't worry about the CL being too polite. (Wanting it to sound exactly like a Les Paul is another proposition, however.) IMO, while not denying the importance of all components of the signal chain, some of what comes out of a guitar comes from the guitarist. In case you haven't seen it, here's a video of Steve Stevens getting deliciously rude on a recent stock CL Deluxe:
https://youtu.be/DmGLYYGcXWY

Good luck in your own search!
Thanks for that link, great demo.

FWIW I put SD '59's in my CLD but the Lollars are on standby duty.
Collings CL Deluxe
PRS Studio
Gibson ES137 Classic
Ovation 1778T Elite USA
Martin 000-17SM

elambo

Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:00 pm

Congrats, nl3!

alphasports

Sat May 09, 2020 12:41 pm

alphasports wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:06 pm FWIW I put SD '59's in my CLD but the Lollars are on standby duty.
Update: finally put the original Lollars back in, I had never heard them in this guitar as I bought it with SD's preinstalled. I like the Lollars, sold the SD's.
Collings CL Deluxe
PRS Studio
Gibson ES137 Classic
Ovation 1778T Elite USA
Martin 000-17SM

elambo

Sat May 09, 2020 5:50 pm

alphasports wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:41 pm
alphasports wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:06 pm FWIW I put SD '59's in my CLD but the Lollars are on standby duty.
Update: finally put the original Lollars back in, I had never heard them in this guitar as I bought it with SD's preinstalled. I like the Lollars, sold the SD's.
I thought you might. :)

Cedar

Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:36 am

Just wondering what amp people would recommend to go with a City Limits to get this kind of tone? I quite like the "pop-grungy" sound she gets out of her bass notes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRXLtlVLiT0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PDD4nAmc3w