posture and seating

dansprucefir

posture and seating

Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:33 pm

All,

I am wondering what folks sit on while they are practicing (couch? Special chair?) and flatpickers in particular. Are there things about your posture or position that you focus on? I am practicing more due to Covid and am feeling some forearm soreness/tightness and am trying to improve my practicing conditions.

Thanks in advance!
Dan

Buck

Re: posture and seating

Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:53 am

I have a Pick-N-Glider in our multipurpose room where I record, but about any straight backed chair will do. If I'm sitting a long time, a padded seat or pillow is appreciated, but I don't sit on soft/sinking couches. That's terrible for posture. To that point, I like to put the guitar on my right leg, neck pushed away from the body 30-45 degrees, and neck tilted up 20-30 degrees. Jack Lawrence does something similar, except he prefers the guitar on his left leg. I normally use a strap even when playing seated, unless I'm at a picking party or jam where lots of instruments are passed around. Then I forgo the strap

Frank Sanns

Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:49 pm

You are probably going to get as many answers as there are players out there. There are many styles that work.

Most of us have probably noodled reclined nearly upside down in a recliner. It can be comfortable and work. When it comes time for more serious practice or playing though, a proper upright but relaxed posture is necessary.

For me, it is the height of the seat that is most important. Usually I sit toward the front edge of the chair with neck up 20 to 45 degrees. Lower for strum and flat pick and higher for more intricate finger style.

I also often switch which leg the guitar rests on depending upon what style I am playing. Sometimes I just switch legs to feel where tension or pressure points are after I have been playing a while. It seems like either I have too much shoulder tension holding up my right arm or too little and I am getting a crease in my forearm from letting it rest too heavily on the lower bout, especially of the larger body guitars. Both of these can be bad long term for pain with the tension being the worse of the evils.

dansprucefir

Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:55 pm

Thanks for the responses! I have been sitting with my legs crossed and am going have to unlearn that I think. I have moved to a an armless wooden chair and have been thinking about tension a lot. Just working on being as tension free as possible has dramatically improved my playing!

Does anyone use a foot rest? That seems to be really comfortable for me.

Dan

Hokiebob

Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:31 pm

I use an armless, upholstered dining room chair that I picked up cheaply at world market.

I have a small wooden footstool to which I cut the legs at an angle. It allows me to raise my left foot and leg a bit and that helps me maintain an more upright posture.
Bob

formerfoodie

Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:23 pm

As I've gotten older, ergonomics and keeping repetitive stress injuries at bay has been critical for me. Ultimately, I switched to play in the classical position. My left foot is on a foot rest and the guitar rests on my left leg. This has helped me immensely.

Probably the best guitar related purchase that wasn't an instrument was buying a really nice chair. I bought a SoundSeat and my body really liked it. Previously, I settled for cheap seats and stools, but I finally bit the bullet and was super glad that I did.

Listen to your body. I no longer push through things and try to take frequent breaks when I'm playing so that I can play longer in total.