Anybody Compare a CJ35 to a Gibson J35?

Jimmy G

Anybody Compare a CJ35 to a Gibson J35?

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:05 pm

First post and glad to be here!
I was in Nashville little over 2 years ago and I played my first ever Collings (CJ35SB). Wasn't planning on buying a new guitar but I loved this instrument. Haunted me for the next week and so I called and bought it. My wife is very cool about this stuff so she said it could be my retirement gift.
After I purchased it I noticed it is modeled after a vintage Gibson J35. My question is this...has anybody been able to compare the Collings CJ35 to a Gibson J35? I have no idea how the Gibson sounds even though this does not sway me in any way. Just curious how close the tone/sound may be.
Appreciate any feedback,
Jim

elambo

Re: Anybody Compare a CJ35 to a Gibson J35?

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:35 am

Congrats on the purchase!

I never played the Collings and Gibson equivalent in the same room on the same day, but I went into the purchase of my CJ35 expecting to buy a Gibson. It only took a minute or two to come to the realization that I'd found the voice I wanted from a Gibby, and a little extra. And it certainly played better. And that sunburst top is just insanely beautiful.

I don't think the Collings is a tight emulation of the Gibson, but I do feel that it accomplishes its mission of covering those bases in the Collings way, with improved ergonomics and second-to-none fit and finish.

JohnB

Re: Anybody Compare a CJ35 to a Gibson J35?

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:46 am

Yes I have, but not exactly back to back. I spent a morning at Carter Vintage Guitars in Nashville and had the opportunity to play two J35s. I can't give you the dates, but the one handed to me in the smaller room was ancient and something like a $25,000 guitar. Both sounded terrific, the small room guitar was better. I picked up my CJ35G when I returned home to California a couple of days later. My sense was that the Collings and the older Gibson didn't sound identical--not like two versions of the same guitar, but sounded like siblings. They were playing the same sound scape (if that makes sense). The Gibson was drier and a little lighter tonally, the Collings--especially with EJ17s louder and richer, and for me much easier to play. When I change to EJ16s on my guitar the sound is closer to the Gibson.

It's easy to say I prefer the Collings since it is a terrific less expensive alternative to a classic J35, but I do believe given the choice I would take the Collings (especially with the EJ16s) as a more versatile and more expressive instrument