My Dream Custom Order

Silly Moustache

My Dream Custom Order

Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:01 am

This is somewhat inspired by pjkesq's excitement about his forthcoming Custom.

I sometimes send my self off to sleep (never was good at that) imagining that I could order a custom (or even two or three - after all dreams are free right? )

The reason I'm here is because I found the most ideal guitar fr me in 1999 and it was a Collings DS2h, and I now have two and two DS1s (one with adi and burst) and an 0002h.

That wasn't the plan but after getting the first, the others were all used. (another story). Also the VERY first time I encountered a Collings guitar was in The Music Emporium in '98. when they showed me something like a DS41/42 which was magical, but in BRW and I was concerned about importing it into the UK (yup-even then).

It would be a DS of some sort, probably a DS3. Standard specs but for :

So, in my dream state, I'm thinking a) dark burst or b) terrified (to get that matured look mainly)
Sitka or adi (probably, as I'm old and nearly dead - torrified Adi)

Style 42 abal;one trim, and style 41 fret markers and bound slotted headstock and neck, with three on a plate waverlies. Torch headstock inlay.

Then I have a problem. BRW is out (CITES etc.,) Madagascar is out (same situation, plus personal conscience). so I'd like some sort of rosewood tone and look, but where can I go apart from EIR?

I need help to get this resolved so I can get some sleep.
Any ideas?

Haasome

Re: My Dream Custom Order

Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:42 pm

I realize the nut & spacing aren’t right, but this might be a starting point.

https://themusicemporium.com/guitars/ac ... olo-german
Paul

Silly Moustache

Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:54 pm

Hi Haasome, you are suggesting cocobolo.

That's a cites app. ii, but it might well be a good alternative - thanks.

txmiller

Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:59 pm

Hey, Silly, I’ll bet you can get Collings to make you the top of your choice with Tasmanian Blackwood back and sides. I think they are looking for an alternative to Madi (as it’s harder to get and has more CITES regs now) and are beginning to use this wood on a custom order basis. They made me a OM Short Scale w/ Adi top and TB back & sides and it’s s perfect. My best Collings yet. Call them and I bet a dealer can fix you up.

JohnB

Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:20 pm

Silly,

I would second cocobolo: especially for a larger guitar. When right, and particularly with adi (natural or torrified: I have both), it sounds full, rich and resonant: in Brazilian territory with a slightly darker voice.

(And this sight has a pretty aggressive and annoying spell check: the first time through for me adi became adios, and torrified terrified of course, as in your post.)

JohnB

Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:23 pm

Site

pjkesq

Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:32 am

Silly Moustache wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:01 am This is somewhat inspired by pjkesq's excitement about his forthcoming Custom.

I sometimes send my self off to sleep (never was good at that) imagining that I could order a custom (or even two or three - after all dreams are free right? )

The reason I'm here is because I found the most ideal guitar fr me in 1999 and it was a Collings DS2h, and I now have two and two DS1s (one with adi and burst) and an 0002h.

That wasn't the plan but after getting the first, the others were all used. (another story). Also the VERY first time I encountered a Collings guitar was in The Music Emporium in '98. when they showed me something like a DS41/42 which was magical, but in BRW and I was concerned about importing it into the UK (yup-even then).

It would be a DS of some sort, probably a DS3. Standard specs but for :

So, in my dream state, I'm thinking a) dark burst or b) terrified (to get that matured look mainly)
Sitka or adi (probably, as I'm old and nearly dead - torrified Adi)

Style 42 abal;one trim, and style 41 fret markers and bound slotted headstock and neck, with three on a plate waverlies. Torch headstock inlay.

Then I have a problem. BRW is out (CITES etc.,) Madagascar is out (same situation, plus personal conscience). so I'd like some sort of rosewood tone and look, but where can I go apart from EIR?

I need help to get this resolved so I can get some sleep.
Any ideas?
Here is my one suggestion. (by the way, LOVE three on plate waverly tuners! Didn't do it on my custom, but have it on my Waterloo JK) I am not sold yet on torrified tops. Collings does offer "Aged Toner." The wood is not baked, but the toner does give it an older look. Otherwise, your dream guitar sounds amazing. :-)