Strings

DavidLesage

Re: Strings

Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:25 pm

Hello everyone,

-20C where I live so I decided to roam around the net and found this new Collings forum. Thanks to the administrators
for serting up this forum.

Regarding strings, I use John Pearse Silks. String tension is a little less, they are warm sounding Nd take just enough of the edginess of guitars thatbare sometimes too bright. These are not the usual silk and steel strings are take all the brightness away and make your guitar sound like it has viral laryngitis.

I have been waiting for a new Collings OM3A cutaway for the last 6 months and just got an email from the dealer that it has been shipped. Really stoked. I will have to try a whole bunch of different strings on it and try sharing my not-so-scientific experiences here.

Kindest regards,

D.

Jklotz

Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:35 am

I'm a happy Elixir nanoweb user, but I have some of the new DaDarrio XS's I'm going to try on my OM2H next time.

Ximyasi

Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:00 pm

I have been playing the guitar for many years and I will know when what is needed and where what is the mistake. What interests you, I am not good at explaining, so I found a post for you that will help you, there is a comparison of the two best guitar string firms. There is a lot of useful information for a beginner, so I hope I could help you.

Hokiebob

Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:17 am

I'm sold on the Pearse New Mediums.
Bob

armdog

Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:13 pm

Since this thread started, back when.... I've changed from D'Ad EJ24s to the new 'nano coated' D'Ad XS 13-56 on my CJmhA.

First set lasted 4mos, just put on a new set last week. I tend to slide on the strings a lot and the nano coating makes for a much better result with no letdown in tone. bert

mattmar10

Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:47 am

John Pearse 600l have been my go-to; but I recently tried a set of Straight Up Stings (mid tension) on my om and 00 and am really liking them.

remco

Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:41 pm

armdog wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:13 pm Since this thread started, back when.... I've changed from D'Ad EJ24s to the new 'nano coated' D'Ad XS 13-56 on my CJmhA.

First set lasted 4mos, just put on a new set last week. I tend to slide on the strings a lot and the nano coating makes for a much better result with no letdown in tone. bert
Hello,
Very good experience with XS 13-56 on my CJMHSB
and my D1.
So I come back from the Newtones which may be a little too "soft"
for my D and CJ models.

Chris

Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:01 am

Having owned quite a few very decent acoustics over the years and now having an OM1A JL, I have to say that my personal string choice is very guitar-dependent. I’ve been running through several different types on the JL which I know strays from the usual recommendations for this model. The J Pearce’s worked surprisingly well after about a week, before that I found them too bright. But this is a relatively new guitar and most strings can be a bit like that on it right now. Likewise the Elixirs, which I hated for quite a while after I fitted them. But, as they tonally softened, so did my attitude to them. I have some D’Addario nickels in stock but am currently having a bit of fun with the Martin Monels, despite them feeling a gauge lighter than anything else in the 12-53 range.
Upon reflection I would say that the JL is, when this new, very, very fussy when it comes to strings, but that might be me.