Am I Being Too Picky?

Tempotantrum

Re: Am I Being Too Picky?

Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:27 pm

Makes you really appreciate the Collings made cases.

Jklotz

Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:00 pm

Another update: I spoke to Mark, who asked me to call him. He went a pulled out a few OM cases and told me they were all like that to some extent. The woman from TKL said it will probably "break in" and get better with a little time and use. I didn't see any point of getting another that had the same problem, so I suggested I keep it for a month or so and see if it gets better. Mark said he'd be happy to revisit at any point and send a replacement if I wanted, so I decided to keep it for a while and see what it does. Hopefully it will "break in", and this will fade into a distant "1st world problem" memory.

signed8bit

Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:31 am

Just to chime in on the TKL topic. I've had two handles come apart on new TKL Collings cases (2020 and 2021 builds) and received replacement handles. By come apart, I am talking only about the leather wrap that comes under and tucks back over the handle's loop. It's glued and stapled but in these two examples they were both attempts at gluing and stapling. My most recent Collings is an 001 Mh T and its case has an ill-fitting lid. I have to apply some inward pressure to the bottom front side of the case to get it to close. It's annoying to be sure but I am living with it.

I also have a 2015 C10-35 and its TKL case is better fitting all around and has no signs of the handle leather issue. I've swapped the TKL that my 001 14-fret T came in with a Calton recently. That's a pretty darn solid case but you pay for it.

At least in my experience, Collings/TKL have been fine in addressing issues. I just don't think you are going to get anything amazing from TKL at this price-point.

pto

Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:22 pm

By come apart, I am talking only about the leather wrap that comes under and tucks back over the handle's loop. It's glued and stapled but in these two examples they were both attempts at gluing and stapling.
SAME thing exactly with a brand-new TKL supplied to Bourgeois. they seem to have fixed the erratic latch problem that existed for a few years, but this is a very strange shortcut. doesn't affect functionality of handle as far as i can see, but why do this when your name is attached to a product?

Bluesandswing

Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:29 pm

I have had issues with TKL cases too. My SJ case has a lid that won't shut correctly and my OM1T case has the same problem and a handle that is coming apart. Makes me understand why Bill wanted go build his own cases. I have acquired a couple of Collings built cases now and they are so awesome...I hope they come back at some point. I also have grabbed a couple of Calton's so I basically just have set the TKL's aside in a storage area and use either the Collings cases or the Caltons. I'm guessing the TKL cases are a frustration for the Collings folks..they put so much effort into getting the guitars so perfect and then the cases they have to ship them in don't seem to be up to the same standard.

Greg Y

Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:28 pm

Quality/fit has been a problem with TKL for years. In 2015, both Mark Althans & I had 0 size guitars (in the era before Bill began his case dream) & the lids on the TKL didn't fit without a big nudge & the flat bail latches were a pain. In the years since, I've bought a bunch of $100 cases for vintage guitars in a few sizes from Saga, Superior, Guardian & Silver Creek. None of these cases suffered from the problems we 've heard about with TKL cases. The simple reason has to be that TKL accepts these faults as reasonable quality control....
Last edited by Greg Y on Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

catndahats

Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:19 pm

Collings deserves a better case than the standard TKL...my observation is that my first Collings TKL built in the late 1990's came with brass/gold color latches and the loop/bail latch was different than today's. A beautiful set up.

My newer 3 guitars from the mid 2010's have the TKL with the flat silver/chrome latches....all three cases are fair but fussy, not equal to the older latches and fit in comparison. They do their job of protecting the guitar adequately however, so I just live with it.

Just a side note, when I picked up a 1996 0002h recently I was excited hoping to get one of the older cases...but it came with a new case with the same wonky fit and chrome latches. Wonder why Collings doesn't contract with someone like Ameritage? My SCGC came standard with one of those and it is a superior case to TKL in my opinion. Cost maybe?

pto

Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:19 pm

this year, i too lucked out with an '06 -0 case that came with it's (previously owned) '06 collings. brass latches. terrific case. fussy is definitely a good description of the silver-latch cases. although i either keep instruments in calgary-era caltons or bill-collings cases, i have found the recent (back to at least 2016) ameritage silver and gold cases to be quite nice, at least much better than the "recent" collings-supplied tkls.

Georgelange

Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:23 pm

No, I don’t like the TLK cases and I wish the Collings cases would be produced again. I have had it with cheap guitar cases for expensive well built guitars. This does not work for me any more