Collings baked Adi tops

northernbreed

Collings baked Adi tops

Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:22 pm

Hi all - wondering if anyone’s had experience with both baked and unbaked Collings tops? I’m a long-time Collings owner, and I owned a standard D1A several years back. So I know what that’s like. Never played one of their baked tops though. I’d love to hear your experiences with them, and specifically Adirondack. Thanks!

Jklotz

Re: Collings baked Adi tops

Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:43 pm

My OM2h has a baked top. Sitka, not addi. Honestly, I played the 4 or 5 they had in the shop and this was the one I liked the best. It was the only baked one in the shop that day. To my ears, it sounded more direct, the attack seemed quicker and it was a tad louder than the others. It seemed to have better projection and sustain as well and filled the room better than the others. I didn't even know it had a baked top until I told the guy in the shop it was my favorite and he said "oh, so you liked the baked top, huh?" I can't say if the difference was the top or some other aspect of the guitar that gave it those qualities, but I'm guessing the top had something to do with it. Probably not helping much, sorry.

Any way you can go play some and see for yourself what you think?

Greg Y

Re: Collings baked Adi tops

Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:10 pm

Northernbreed, I've also played Collings for a long time. Although i don't own a 'baked' Collings, I did own a Pre*War 000-18 with a torrified red spruce top. It was a terrific guitar. At the same time i had an OM1aJL and a '38 000-18. If i were able to try out a bunch of Collings at the same time, I'd pick the one that sounded best, regardless of specs. As a lefty, I don't get that opportunity. I was very taken by the fundamental sound of the JL & I'd be most inclined to order a satin thin finish guitar with 'traditional' specs.....if it came down to it, rather than a standard spec guitar with a 'baked' top. Collings has been making more incredible instruments...it seems as if our friend in Austin never rest on their laurels.