Collings Case Vs. Calton

TravH

Collings Case Vs. Calton

Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:52 pm

Hi,

I have a Collings case, not a TKL but the Collings made traditional case for a dreadnought. LOVE IT!

BUT....I'm a full time RV'er in the southwest and struggle with managing humidity or lack there of as the case may be.

Questions:

Does a Calton offer better seal and RH management?

How do they compare weight wise? Bad back makes the light Collings a clear winner over the TKL but I've never even seen a Calton case?

IF I get feed back suggesting a Calton is a better choice for my lifestyle.... is anyone interested in a trade......?

Thanks!

Trav

adirondack&spruce

Re: Collings Case Vs. Calton

Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:53 pm

Thanks for asking this, i was literally gonna make a post about this. Im in same situation and have been wondering this too. I have all handmade cases for my Collings and was wondering if Calton is better against the humidity and temp fluctuations.

I love the collings handmade case but its all about protecting the guitars for the long run.

Calton has some really great color combinations for their cases.

Id love to hear from others as well.
Thanks!

northernbreed

Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:58 am

My Collings stock TKL cases retain moisture/humidity really well during our winters. It surprised me.

Frank Sanns

Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:41 am

Calton cases are impressive. Yes they are heavy, durable, and well sealed.

No case though is fool proof when it comes to humidity. Some cases may require more frequent filling of moisture systems but in the end, it is up to the operator to be sure things are well maintained.

Putting lots of humidity in an airtight case can be problematic. This can especially be a problem in places like the desert where there are wide temperature fluctuations. I assume your guitar will be indoors and not subject to hot days and cool nights. If not be aware that humidity and temperature are intimately connected. On an 80 degree day and the humidity being at 40% in a case, all is good. Let that temperature fall to 60 degrees and the humidity will sky rocket into potential mildew levels. This will be worse in a fairly well sealed case than one that has a little more air flow like a standard case.

If you like a Calton case, go for it but if you are buying it because you feel it is fool proof, it is not. Good humidification habits need to be regular no matter the case.

Tempotantrum

Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:43 am

I have both cases. I love my Collings hand built cases, but they are not imo made for the rigor of travel. I think they would fend off humidity and temp changes about the same as any laminated wood-shell case. In comparison, the Calton is significantly better at protecting from heat and humidity changes as well as serious impacts protection. Calton actually posts metrics on these events on their website. The tradeoff is weight - the new calton dreadnaught cases weigh 17 lbs, but do offer a shoulder sling or even a backpack style set of rings. When I travel with my expensive guitars - even just to jams - they are going in the Calton. I used my collings case for a trip this summer with no flights- just auto, and the case took on too much wear and tear for my liking. The case is so nice and I love it - but it is basically for home or local transport.

For real world use - you really cant beat Calton. Hiscox is nice as well - also less expensive. I think they are a bit homely though :D

JohnFrink

Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:19 pm

Here’s my two cents: I have guitars in cases made by Collings, Collings-branded TKL, Ameritage, Canadian Calton, Texas Calton, Hiscox, Hoffee, and Accord. I keep digital temperature and relative humidity sensors in all of them, and in the house they all control temperature and humidity equally well. On the road, it could be a different story. Flying, I would take a Calton or a Hoffee (heavy but very tough); RV-ing, I’d take a Hiscox (light and tough), going to a local gig, I take the Accord (very light and tough), going to a friendly local jam I take a gig bag (very light, with backpack straps). Hope this helps.
Bourgeois OM CB HS, Collings OM1T, OM1Mh, OM3Mh, RainSong CH-OM-N2, Santa Cruz OM

6l6

Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:50 pm

All of my guitars live in Hiscox Pro II cases.

I leave my D2H in a high altitude, low humidity location. I use Humidipacs and have zero problems.

IMO you can't beat these Hiscox cases. For around $300 you get everything you need. Lightweight, strength (up until the pandemic hit, I made on average three trips/yr from San Francisco to London and back. Always took my Collings instruments or another fine guitar to play in London. The Hiscox Pro II's have kept them in perfect condition always), and "D" rings installed to hook a shoulder strap to.

Nope, I don't work for Hiscox!!! They have a superior product that they could be charging a lot more for it.

Bill

pjkesq

Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:25 am

When I got my custom collings made, it came with the gorgeous traditional collings case. A true work of art, but from the time I picked up the guitar and took the train home, the soft leather of the case got a very significant scuff. If you are going to keep your guitar in the house and not take it outside, there is not a nicer case! But that is not me. I sold the collings case to finance a Calton. The Calton cases are heavy, but they are so well made and works of art themselves.

TravH

Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:59 pm

Thanks everyone!

Heavy is a downer. Aside from my D1A being always stored it's constantly moved around in its Collings case. My RV, 25' Airstream, has limited safe spaces and my back is so worked any over stretching at all can tweak it worse. I was OK with a TKL but that beast was so heavy compared...so I don't want to go an ounce heavier.

I play almost daily so not an issue to monitor RH daily.

I thought if a Calton was equal weight wise I'd have a little wiggle room if I forgot a couple days and my Oasis dried out....but I'll save the hassle and pay more attantion.

I'd still entertain the idea of a trade but would like to do it in person. I travel most AZ. In. Yuma now then Tucson area through February so if anyone in those locations wan't to meet for possible Collings->Calton case trade get in touch!

Thanks!

Trav

Greg Y

Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:50 pm

Trav, you'll find that an empty Calton weighs more than your Collings case with a guitar in it.....