Buying 1st Collings Assistance

Georgelange

Re: Buying 1st Collings Assistance

Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:37 pm

A D-1A is the one I have. It has the vintage neck and string spacing as well. I like that one quite a bit.

Slgis

Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:05 am

I believe the op is Mike Quibble, who's a regular on the UMGF. Mike, I think you will like Collings guitars. Yes, the T models will sound more like the Martins you are used to, but here's a consideration for you: a D-1A Varnish. Maybe the pandemic has changed things, but I recall seeing several used examples for around $4K. I've had a 000-1A Varnish (basically like a Martin 000 12 fret) for 6 years, and it has a sound like nothing else I've heard. It has the Collings clarity, but at the same time it has a warmth you wouldn't expect. On new guitars, it's a $2000 upgrade, but that doesn't seem to carry over to the used market. That said Collings are great in any flavor. If you live in the Northeast, maybe pay a visit to TME or AMW?

jwills57

Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:52 am

Hey, There--I have a D2H Torrified Sitka, not a Traditional Series, mind you, but I'll still hazard a comment. I described this guitar on another forum, another post as the Great White Shark of dreadnoughts. It's a big, bold, ballsy guitar, nothing subtle or mistaken about what it's trying to do. The loudest dreadnought I have ever played. The guitar is beautiful, too, in my humble opinion and the set-up was and remains spot on. A great, great guitar.

Georgelange

Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:40 pm

Don’t buy the Torrefied top versions. I don’t like the sound that much and they might crack easier as they are artificial heated to mimic an aged top. The problem here is I think they are over- cooked and not allowed to dry through normal aging . I’ve had a couple of these tops crack unexpectedly and I had to pay for the repairs. I was not happy about this. The guitar was not old and cracked in the summertime. Too much humidity can cause problems, I was told.
I like the mahogany backs and sides better in terms of sound. I’ve had a East Indian rosewood and Sitka spruce top D2H but I grew tired of the bright sound I like the D1A VN because it sounds better to me and especially with the varnish guitar finish. Search for this option and you will enjoy your guitar even more.
Last edited by Georgelange on Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

jwills57

Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:59 pm

I wouldn't have such concerns about baked-top Collings guitars. If one doesn't tend to take care of one's guitar related to proper humidification, then any top will likely run into cracking problems sooner or later. But, also, I'm absolutely confident that Collings has done a massive amount of recent and development on their process for making and using baked tops on their guitars. Collings wouldn't be using these tops if there were the slightest concern about stability and longevity. I trust Collings as a company to know what the "right stuff" is regarding this question.

TravH

Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:59 pm

jwills57 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:59 pm I wouldn't have such concerns about baked-top Collings guitars. If one doesn't tend to take care of one's guitar related to proper humidification, then any top will likely run into cracking problems sooner or later. But, also, I'm absolutely confident that Collings has done a massive amount of recent and development on their process for making and using baked tops on their guitars. Collings wouldn't be using these tops if there were the slightest concern about stability and longevity. I trust Collings as a company to know what the "right stuff" is regarding this question.
I don't think the baked tops are a good idea. Roasted maple electric guitar necks are prone to splitting if tuner key mount screw holes are just a hair small. I've seen that a lot!

When I had a lifting bridge and called Collings first thing they ask is if it's a baked top. Not sure if it's the glue or the nature of the wood but I got the impression removing a bridge from a baked top a bit different.

I like the plain ol' Adirondack tops just fine and would not pay an extra $ for the baked version. Neither one is better; just different!

Flakyfoont

Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:28 pm

Traditionals are fantastic and Collings' Sitka topped models offer a rather huge sound. An Adirondack top can take time to display it's power, but it's often a step up. Be aware that the 1 3/4 neck is quite full, but most soon come to love it. Buy a used guitar. Buy that 42!