Why are so many baked and traditional guitars up for sale?

Frank Sanns

Why are so many baked and traditional guitars up for sale?

Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:23 am

It is interesting that the majority of acoustic guitars being sold this year are either baked tops or traditional line guitars. What gives as there can't be nearly as many of these guitars out there as the standard line?

Wproffitt

Re: Why are so many baked and traditional guitars up for sale?

Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:22 am

Are we talking about new instrument? Also, “the majority of acoustic guitars being sold” where? On Reverb? In bricks and mortar stores? I’m not sure if this is question about Collings production numbers or the resale of the traditional and/or baked too instruments.

Frank Sanns

Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:05 am

I should have specified as resold. Look at the acoustic guitars for sale even on this site but I have seen it on Reverb and elsewhere too.

pto

Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:47 pm

i've had a parlor2h, D2h, om2h and D1 traditional; the 2h's all adirondack-madagascar. all traditionals gone, and they didn't last long, really. when it comes to collings, i much prefer the "standard" Collings line. the T's all wonderful examples, just ended up gone.

Rev Roy

Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:19 pm

Can’t say I’ve noticed that. I love the Traditional line. Had a great D1AT for awhile but sold it to buy a Brazilian Bourgeois. Missed it so much I have a new D1T torrified sunburst arriving tomorrow.
Collings D1 Traditional (Sitka/Honduran)
Martin D-28 Custom Authentic Aged 1937 (Adi/EIR)

pto

Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:55 pm

just reread my post. did a disservice to the T. i should have said "prefer" not "much prefer." and if i could keep myraid guitars, i
would have kept them, they are indeed wonderful and worthy of Collings. sorry folks at the forum and Collings! i will bench myself.

Haasome

Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:35 pm

I’ve owned most models made by Collings at one time or another (missed a few) and played just about every model over the past ~10 years. My preferred guitars have all been Standards. I’ve actively pursued T models and Baked versions, but none have matched what I’ve experienced with the Standard series. And as an aside, I still wish I hadn’t sold a 2013 Sitka/EIR CJ I moved in a weak moment :oops: and might start the hunt to see if I can find it. All good, just find what works.
Paul

Tempotantrum

Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:13 am

I think that the Traditionals have generated a lot of buzz over the last several years, and therefore its makes sense that more have sold and more are being traded out. There are a lot of nice guitars being made right now and I think people are "rolling" guitars actively during the lockdown. In the last two years, I have bought an OM42BaaaA, a D1ATS, and two Martin Aged Authentics. I may or may not hang onto all of those - but one I know wont be going anywhere is the D1ATS.

pto

Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:40 am

I think that the Traditionals have generated a lot of buzz over the last several years, and therefore its makes sense that more have sold and more are being traded out.
for me, that's the answer to the original question:) then there are the cases. oh, the cases. so sweet.

Frank Sanns

Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:27 am

That does sound like the most likely solution. Thanks!

As for opinions, we all have our preferences for body size, woods, and just about every other attribute. As long as they are Collings, they are winners!