Strings

Hokiebob

Re: Strings

Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:36 am

Welcome. We're glad to have you.

After a lot of trial and error I keep my D2h (as well as my D18-V) strung with John Pearse New Mediums 710. They are a hibred set like the bluegrass strings.
I love the tone they produce. They stay in tune very well and are very durable still sounding good weeks later.

My best advice is try several strings. I'm sure happy that I did.

BTW. If you are going to compare be sure to have a friend do some of the playing so you hear what they sound like on the other side.
Bob

never2late

Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:30 pm

Thanks, Bob. I'll try the 710s.

Hokiebob

Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:20 pm

Silly Moustache wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:20 pm
My issues were that JPs often arrived looking corroded and were very short lived.
JP string are packaged in paper envelopes and sets are then placed in a plastic sleeve. The result is not air tight.
If they are stored incorrectly or for long periods of time they will age poorly. I only buy from a high volume dealer (Elderly) and buy only a 6-12 month supply at a time. When they arrive three sets go on guitars to use at once. The other sets go in a Tupperware container. Any spares that I carry in my guitar cases are in zip lock bags and changed out (put on a guitar) about once a year.

As I said in my earlier post they are quite durable for me. Once on a guitar I use them about 3-4-5 months and at the end they still stay in tune and still sound quite good.
Bob

remco

Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:14 pm

Maybe in export the package is not quite the same.
I had the same problem as Silly in France.
No problem with D'Addario.
Do you know that it is easier to order Newtones or Pyramids strings, brands of European origin in the US?

Remi

Red Oak

Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:10 am

pjkesq wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:12 am Santa Cruz low tension parabolic strings. Far and away the best strings I have ever used. Have them on all my guitars now.
Wow! That’s quite the endorsement. I’ll be trying them myself as I’m due for new strings!!!

Silly Moustache

Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:19 am

Hi, me again.
I have not been a "coated" string user don't like the sound, feel or the price and I don't "need" them (very dry hands).
I've been pretty faithful to Ej16s and EJ17s for many years - they usually last me 2-3 months - but these last two years haven't been "usual".

However, I visited an old friend's music shop a while ago and he persuaded my to try a couple of sets of the new D'Addario XTs.
I thought I should also try the Martin equivalents the MA 540 & 550 "T" lifespans.

I have to say that the XTs were ... "meh" but I have to say that the Martin "T" lifespans have really impressed.
During lockdown I've hardly used my dreads (DS2h & DS1) but have used my 0002h almost every day as it is the one I use mostly for giving Zoom lessons.
Just today I was playing for some time prior to the lesson recording and preparing for this afternoon's client, and I realised that it sounded really impressive. ... I looked to see when I fitted them ... 30th August! This guitar stays out in our open plan kitchen diner lounge, all the time!

They still look good and sound clan clear and full.

Regarding the XTs, I fitted a set of mediums on my little played SCGC end Sept and got bored with the dull sound in January.
I also put a set of lights on my Eastman E40-00 in January, and already thinking of changing them.

More Martin Lifespan "T" on their way to me.

DenverSteve

Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:08 am

It depends on the individual guitar for me. I've got 4 Collings. Two OM's are most incredible with Martin MEC12s. One dread wears Elixir 80/20 Nano 12s and the other, Martin MA1240T coated Lifespan light 12 80/20. I always test every guitar purchased with 4-5 different strings regardless of how similar the guitar is to any other.
Shalom, Steve
A Few World-Class Tools..........

buckweston

Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:59 pm

pjkesq wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:12 am Santa Cruz low tension parabolic strings. Far and away the best strings I have ever used. Have them on all my guitars now.
I second this...Santa Cruz low tension parabolic strings have been my go to for 3years now. No complaints what so ever and I'm constantly getting compliments on how great my guitars sound from folks that know their guitars. I have them on a Martin D-18, Collings 00-2H, and a Collings D2H A T.

Basis for my positive review on the low tension parabolic: great sound, long life, great feel and the tension is ideal, and a perfect balance.

DenverSteve

Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:12 pm

Toocooll77 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:55 am Thanks! It’s my first Collings
Congratulations on your Collings. I go through a string evaluation for every guitar I get. That includes rotating 4-5 different strings on each new guitar until I get what I think is the best sound, for me, from that instrument. I use Martin strings on about half of my guitars and that includes my D1 baked.
Shalom, Steve
A Few World-Class Tools..........

Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:13 pm

For my OM1A, I liked D’Addario PB best, followed by John Pearse PBs. I tried Martin Monels from time to time on that guitar, and they were OK, but nothing to make me want to change from the D’Addarios. I tried many other brands on this guitar from time to time, but always returned to those mentioned above.

About 4-5 years ago, I replaced the OM1A with an OM1A JL which came from the factory w/ D’Addario Nickel strings. The nickels are a game changer if you’re seeking a fundamental dry tone. They sound especially thick to my ear. Once they settle in, they take an adjustment on your ear because the tone is opposite of strings that bring out sparkle, sustain, & overtones. I’ve balanced this by swapping them out from time to time with D’Addario PBs. I have a set of Martin Monels on it right now, and they are OK. Not as dry as the Nickels & not as brilliant as the PBs.
I tried D’Addario 80/20s on the guitar to. Like the Nickels, once settled in, more fundamental than the PBs, but not as compelling to change from either the PBs or Nickels.

I also have a OM3 that has an Adi top with Madi Rosewood B & S. That guitar also has a varnish finish. I’ve mostly used D’Addario PBs on it. They bring out all of the overtones, sparkle, and volume of the guitar. I’ve tried D’Addario Nickel for a more fundamental tone on that guitar, and they work well for that effect. But not nearly as dry sounding as the OM1A JL.

The older I’ve gotten, the less I tend to change strings. To be honest, I only swap sets once or twice a year. I guess I like a settled in string sound best, regardless of the type. Or maybe that’s just an excuse for being lazy. :D