Small-bodied Collings - flatpick

dansprucefir

Small-bodied Collings - flatpick

Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:40 pm

Hey all,
I wanted to revisit this thread from a while back - I moved it up from the general discussions section hoping to get more feedback. I am mostly playing my OM1AT these days and my D1AT mostly goes unplayed. I am thinking of adding another smaller bodied guitar but it needs to have a thinner neck up around the 8-12th frets for playing jazz chords up the neck. I have developed some arthritis in my fretting hand thumb and the thick T neck is uncomfortable at these higher positions. For single note leads/improv plus jazz chording (think acoustic swing), would a O1 or O2 (A or G - I've never been satisfied with sitka) be a useful instrument?
Thanks in advance!
Dan

Greg Y

Re: Small-bodied Collings - flatpick

Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:45 am

Dan, I've owned a 01a and a 0001G..... if i ordered a small guitar again i'd order a G. I really like the tone of old (75-80 y.o) Adirondack....but the German spruce responds so nicely to a light touch, and doesn't sound harsh when new. If you haven't compared neck profiles... here's the standard modified V Collings neck and the T size neck. But you can get that neck on a 00 or OM (or short scale) as well

https://www.collingsguitars.com/acoustic-guitars/01/

https://www.collingsguitars.com/acoustic-guitars/01-t/

dansprucefir

Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:00 pm

Thanks Greg. I have been thinking a lot about an O1G. I remember back on the old forum than several members preferred German to Adi on smaller guitars. Also, I was comparing the neck profiles of the standard Collings neck to the T neck. I remember the standard neck being very comfortable and easy to get around on.

Does anyone have any experience with an O vs a 14-fret OO? I think there may be a thread here somewhere....

Dan

Greg Y

Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:19 pm

Dan, I waited years for a 14 fret 00. They've only recently come out. With current prices, I won't be ordering one.....(they're more now than i paid for my '39 00-18 wideneck). I'd expect the 00 to be more open sounding than the 0. Still a comfortable small body and short scale.... a 001G would be a killer guitar....maybe even go for the no pore filler...& satin finish.

Hokiebob

Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:57 am

I play with a guy who has a 00 by another maker. It has a mahogany bidy and Adirondack top with a modified v neck. To me it is the perfect fingerstyle guitar. It is a joy to play and you can sit for long sessions with no fatigue. The guitar is very responsive ti even the lightest touch.

Trent uses his for 2 main uses. He does backing tracks for a video production company. You know thecstuff you don't really notice but if it's not there you know that somethings missing.

He also does a bunch of weddings. He gets requests for a number of songs but part of the time they just want background music. He can do either.

If I had the money (and didn't have use of his) I'd be looking for a 14 fret 00 in a minute.
Bob

Indigoblues

Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:02 am

Hey Dan! Good to see you posting again.

I wanted to chime in on a small-bodied Collings that is one of my favorites and hasn’t been suggested, yet: a C-10. The C-10 has a different neck profile that is closer to an electric than Collings’s other small-body acoustics, so you may find it a little easier with your chording. They have amazing volume for a smaller guitar—guitarists that sat across from me at jams have given mine the eyeball during breaks because of my C-10’s projection.

The C-10 is modeled after a Gibson L-00, which was endorsed by one of the early jazz guitarist greats, Nick Lucas. (I think the Nick Lucas model was the first guitar ever endorsed by a professional musician?). So I think the C-10 has some bonafides as a jazz guitar.

I’m not all that familiar with the Waterloo line of guitars, but some models have a body shape that is similar to the C-10 and I recall online comments from Waterloo owners about enjoying them for playing jazz. So, maybe a Waterloo model may be worth considering, too, if their necks are manageable?

Finally, you may have better luck finding a C-10 than a 14-fret 0 or 00 because the C-10’s are very under-appreciated in my opinion. Good luck with your quest and Happy 2022!

Indigoblues

dansprucefir

Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:38 pm

Thanks all! I had honestly not thought about a C10. But maybe I will give Kim over at TNAG a call. If I remember correctly, she is a big fan of the model. A 14 fret OO1G could be what I am looking for or maybe even something in the Waterloo line. It is hard to get out and play anything these days so I think I will just start conversations with Mark at Collings, Kim, and maybe Andy from TME.

I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year and gets to play music today!
Dan

Silly Moustache

Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:40 pm

I do believe that small bodied guitars have regained popularity

I love my three 12 fret Collings dreads, which have hardly seen daylight in the last two years, and my 0002h has become my faithful sidekick for giving my zoom lessons, and I would love a 002h but I have a Waterloo, and my two really, very goosd Eastmans,
I made a video about this a while ago : https://youtu.be/VT70_F7-syU

Mr. Jelly

Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:27 pm

I have been flat picking my Collings 001 Traditional and it sounds great, clear, toneful and well balanced. I fear I may not like a dread any better.

signed8bit

Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:41 am

I've grown very fond of the Collings 00 models. I've been working on flat picking for a bit, old fiddle tunes and the like. All of the 00 guitars I have do just fine for it. I've got a wonderful 001 14-fret T that is nice and balanced, projects very well. My 001 Mh T is super too, I will flat pick on that one but it is super mellow and really excels with folky strumming and finger picking. My C10-35 A is one I actually go to a lot for flat picking bluegrass. It is super punchy and very well defined. Really you can't go wrong here. I love the 00 size, it's super comfortable and easy to play.