Knocked out - my new Collings SJ Indian

quake17

Re: Knocked out - my new Collings SJ Indian

Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:00 am

Daniel,

Congrats on the SJ from a fellow Oregonian! I have two SJ's, my first is a 2010 Madagascar Rosewood and Adirondack with a cutaway and Shaded Western top. I got it from the original owner on the old Collings Forum. It is real a jack of all trades. I picked up a very used 2003 SJ in Koa and Sitka a few years ago and it is just sublime sounding, though cosmetically challenged. I'd like to try a maple one some day but have yet to see another SJ of any flavor.

Grant

RNF

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:47 pm

I haven't commented forever. Your enthusiasm got me. And, I have to admit, you've made me interested in SJ's. Life is funny, so are guitars. All I knew was Martins and Gibsons. I knew of Collings, but never even considered spending the money. My friend told me about an upscale guitar store. I played a mahog SS CJ. It was as life-changing moment. That was it. I was absolutely shocked. Went home. I don't impulse buy, typically. A few days later I called them. Gone. I went back to the store. No CJ's. Played a D2A, a few other builders too. No connection to any of them.
I lost my mind. I went online. Inexplicably, I bought my Collings online!? From a guy on the forum. A rosewood SS German top CJ. It is unbelievable. It is so nice I feel, I don't know what, guilty? It may be the best money I ever spent.

I don't see ever getting rid of the CJ, I don't want to play anything else (anybody want a 68 Gibson or a 98 Martin?). But I kind of doubt that I'm done acquiring guitars. Thanks for the tip. An SJ is now going on the radar.
Congratulations on your wonderful, amazing guitar my friend!
Enjoy!
Best of luck.

smalljumbo

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:10 pm

Thank you all ... for the kind words and enthusiasm. I am having a great time with my new SJ. I am in the 'find the ultimate strings' part of new guitar ownership. The guitar came to life when I put on the Elixir Polyweb .012-.056 strings. The .056 E string really brings out a lovely bass, though I am finding the higher strings a little hard to bend. Probably just a matter of building up my hand muscles. I've been playing electric guitar too much ...

I tried really hard to love Taylor guitars. Played them all but just didn't warm up to the fretboard, or the sound. Nothing compared to my Collings. I am not blind to the cost difference however.

Just wish I had found my SJ about two decades ago!

All good things ... Daniel
myguitars.jpg

Haasome

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:42 pm

Give D’Addario PB XT lights a try. I’ve been pretty happy with these on my Collings. I’ve also had great luck with SCGC Med Tension, which have the same tension as other brands’ light gauge strings. They play bigger, but are easier on fingers,
Paul

markT

Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:22 pm

Congratulations on that SJ!

I broke out my Mh/German last night and wondered why I don’t play it more often.
Mine is my electrified acoustic and I haven’t had a reason to electrify my acoustic playing lately. ( Playing 100% electric onstage lately)
But when I need it, my trusty SJ Cutaway is there!

Congrats again ~

Enjoy !

smorris101

Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:40 pm

After a lengthy search I bought my first Collings last year, it turned out to be an SJ Indian Rosewood built in 2011. Its the nicest acoustic I have ever owned, plays great with a huge sound and that characteristic Collings balance of bass, mid, treble. The narrow waist makes it really comfortable to play sitting down even though the guitar is pretty good sized and deep. I currently have medium elixir nano phosphor bronze strings on it and they sound clean and great but I will definitely try out some other kinds as they wear out. I have Taylors, a D28 and some others but this SJ shines. I do think the neck on my taylor 414 ltd is a little more comfortable though.

Cvman011

Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:19 pm

I too just purchased my first Collings having found a new, old stock SJ Indian with European spruce top and a cutaway. It's the best of Taylor & Martin in a blended, balanced package. Now if I can just find a maple or koa or madagascar cutaway for Collings guitar #2, 3, or 4! Lol
Last edited by Cvman011 on Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

GreatWestern

Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:46 pm

Congrats- Enjoy the new SJ. Great guitars

Bluesandswing

Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:55 pm

I'm always super happy when I hear about someone getting an SJ and loving it. I have a maple/German and its my favorite guitar...and I also have am OM1AJL and a CJ45AT so its good company. I always struggle to figure out why the SJ is not more popular since it works so great for so many styles...it just seems to me to be a guitar that would appeal to more folks if they gave one a try. I have a friend that never really thought too much of the SJ size but he had an opportunity to pick up a nice used maple/sitka one recently and he too is now an SJ convert as well. I'd also say it sounds great in various configurations...although as mentioned mine is maple/German I have played Mahogany and rosewood versions and thought they were great too; I'd love to have a mahogany/Adi one someday....maybe even a cutaway...one of the few body sizes that I think works well as a cutaway although my maple/German is a non-cut. To me the SJ just has a little bit of Archtop DNA...which I think is cool. Congrats on your new guitar!!

Red Oak

Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:16 pm

GreatWestern wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:46 pm Congrats- Enjoy the new SJ. Great guitars
Ditto! Isn’t it amazing how many Collings’ models are simply great!!!