resonant frequency

Paresh

resonant frequency

Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:28 pm

Hi I have a Collings OM that's 10 years old now. When I picked it out I tested every string & fret for any resident frequencies that jumped out. It was very balanced but now over the years I notice a peak frequency around f sharp on the 4th and 5th strings. Is this normal? Does it just come from the guitar opening up over time? I don't think there's anything I can do about it except just adjust my playing technique. Thanks

Derek

Re: resonant frequency

Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:27 am

The Helmholtz resonance of many guitars is right in the F# range (an octave lower than the F# of what you are hearing). To check the Helmholtz resonance frequency of your guitar hum into the soundhole starting at low frequency and increase the frequency until the guitar body blooms in resonance at the Helmholtz frequency. Over time the guitar's body may have loosened up to make
it more pronounced. That's the main one however other resonances may set off other feedback vibrations in the guitar. Also read up on the internet about guitar wolf notes.

Paresh

Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:14 pm

Thanks Derek, I will.

Red Oak

Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:21 pm

Derek wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:27 am The Helmholtz resonance of many guitars is right in the F# range (an octave lower than the F# of what you are hearing). To check the Helmholtz resonance frequency of your guitar hum into the soundhole starting at low frequency and increase the frequency until the guitar body blooms in resonance at the Helmholtz frequency. Over time the guitar's body may have loosened up to make
it more pronounced. That's the main one however other resonances may set off other feedback vibrations in the guitar. Also read up on the internet about guitar wolf notes.
Wonderful information!! Thanks for posting!!!