Neck Reset

uponamouse

Re: Neck Reset

Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:45 pm

I should have thought to post this sooner. When it was barely 3 years old, my 2005 OM1A buzzed a little on the first and second strings when fingering at the 10th fret and higher. My tech (formerly at Gryphon) adjusted the truss rod slightly, which reduced but didn't eliminate it, and he showed where one fret just above the neck-body joint was a little higher than the rest. When I registered the guitar with Collings, I queried "how" this could happen to a fine young guitar, and Steve McCreary called me and basically said, It's wood and metal, and it changes all the time from humidity, temperature, age, etc. Don't worry too much about it.

[Where I live, excess humidity needs treatment, not the lack of it. Silica gel packs help to keep my guitars from swelling too much. But the OM1A action did rise over time to a stout profile. Because of the cut-through saddle, I didn't want to sand off the bottom of it. During shutdown, I made a new saddle from a Stew-Mac blank (took a couple of tries). Visually, it's not Bill Collings perfect—which I aspired to—but it does play better.]
Cheers, Tom