Upgrade to OM1T / OM1AT?

shotzy

Upgrade to OM1T / OM1AT?

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:04 pm

I bought a new OM1A 1.5 years ago which was my first Collings. It is a fantastic guitar and I find it especially well-suited for flatpicking given its clarity and high headroom. However, I play 70% fingerstyle (flesh & short nails with thumb pick) and have found myself wishing it had a little less zing, a tad more bass and slightly wider nut and saddle spacing (it's allegedly 1.75" but definitely feels more crowded than my Santa Cruz with the same spec).

For those who have played an OM1 Traditional and/or OM1A T, do you think one of these would be a worthwhile upgrade for me, as a replacement or add-on to my OM1A? Any thoughts on how these would compare for fingerstyle? (I haven't been able to find one locally yet to try)

FWIW I also have a SCGC OM Grand in German/EIR that is great for slower fingerstyle pieces (rich overtones and ringing sustain), though I like having a mahogany-backed OM for times when I want a snappier/woodier tone with fewer ringing overtones, such as for fingerstyle boom chick and flatpicking.

I realize my OM1A is still a toddler and may well take on more bass and a mellower tone over time, so maybe I'm just impatient or want an excuse to add another guitar :)

Would love to get any thoughts or opinions from the group!
----------------------------------
Collings OM1AT
Santa Cruz OM Grand (German / EIR)

My youtube guitar channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj1rzB ... 3l6XeRMktQ