fret wear

never2late

fret wear

Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:52 pm

My 2021 D2HA is showing significant fret wear after 9 months. I play it two or three hours a day, seven days a week. Is fret wear normal after this amount of playing? When I need a re-fret, should I use my local luthier (he's good) or send it to Collings? Other than fret wear, I have no complaints about my Collings. It's terrific.

Greg Y

Re: fret wear

Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:07 pm

Fret wear varies a lot depending on your grip, how you capo et cetera.
It really depends what you consider substantial wear. Any big dents or divots?
9 months is a pretty short time to put that much wear on.
Collings uses proprietary fretwire (tang size will fit the slots perfectly. I have bought fretwire from Collings in the past.
I'm not sure their repair department is currently taking in guitars for routine work like fretjobs.
Keep us in the loop. I'm sure others will benefit from your info.

never2late

Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:01 pm

fret wear.jpg

Thanks for the reply. There are fairly deep notches in some places, especially on the second string, frets 3 to 5, but also noticeable wear on other strings and up the neck.

Mr. Jelly

Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:42 pm

I've had my share of guitars with marks and notches on the frets. I never had any of these impact the playing of the guitar. Except a 50 something Les Paul. I'd keep an eye on it and do something about it when it becomes a problem.

never2late

Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:31 pm

I emailed Collings and got a prompt, thorough reply from Dabne. My frets are 18% nickel-silver wire, narrow gauge/medium crown. On the StewMac website, he said, I should order item #0147. The narrow gauge probably explains the faster wear. Frets on my other guitars are mediums. I don't want to change to stainless steel or EVO because Dabne says they will likely create a brighter tone, especially with the stainless. I like the tone and playability as-is, so I'll try to have the worn frets re-crowned and then replace them when necessary.

Just wanted to close the loop on this question, in case anyone is curious.

Greg Y

Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:52 pm

You're right that stainless frets will affect the tone. Lots of mandolin & guitar builders use EVO frets & they (in my experience as well) affect the tone. Bill C refused to use stainless. BTW it's downward pressure on the frets that causes wear..... fret width doesn't really have an effect, otherwise mandolin frets would wear faster....& they don't. Best of luck with the fret job

RNF

Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:57 am

Ha! 2-3 hours 7 days a week? Nice.. I have a 2015 CJ that i played the heck out of for years. I was also a bit alarmed at my fret wear. Posted about it and people were great. I was getting all ready to send'er back to Texas for refret. I'm not playing it as much as I used to, but it does seem like the wear has plateaued. So, try not to fret maybe. (oh come on, I had to..)

kbb72

Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:37 am

2-3 hours 7 days a week? I'd wear that fret wear like a badge.

You know this I'm sure, but are you heavy handed? Do you play the same frets 80% of the time? Do you capo right there all the time? All important variables. Honestly, that doesn't look that bad for the kind of play time you're talking about. My last Collings played fabulously and without issue way after it "needed" a refret...it was way worse than your pic. :-)