In Case You Missed It

Frank Sanns

Re: In Case You Missed It

Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:40 am

PTO, thank you. I have resisted commenting on the contribution portions as sometimes people thought some of the things presented were controversial. As we see with social media now, it seems that EVERYTHING is controversial.

These days, in many circles, I do not even mention much of my work. It seems that science today is mocked by many. This is unfortunate because it is science that brought us to our current level of technology. It was not meant to be a sledge hammer unleashed onto the people. Often what is presented is not entirely wrong but shades of not being correct either. I think in the last decade especially this has caused a credibility problem with scientists. Of course some of it is self inflicted when they totally get it wrong.

I remember when the nuclear accident was in the process of occurring in Fukushima, Japan. The government and company scientists were saying no problem. No health concerns and eat all of the food that you want from the area around the plant. Then there were some medical doctors that were saying that radiation had reached the US and EU and we were all about to die a terrible death. The answer of course was neither extreme but different groups of people grabbed hold of their little portion of the truth and ran with it. It was and ugly situation as many people's lives and livelihoods were adversely affected.

So scientists now are some of the last people that are listened too these days. I mean the SOBs demoted Pluto and it is no longer a planet! lol. You get the idea. So I keep my head down these days and try to stay away from answering too many technical questions as too many people make up their own narrative and it becomes their truth. Nobody can change that, not even the correct information. Strange world we live in today.

pto

Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:59 am

Science... what it is and what it isn't. my favorite topic. and yes it (the word, not the pure practice) is indeed used as a sledgehammer. rather than go on and on... i will just leave one of my favorite Feynman quotes: "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."

Red Oak

Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:40 pm

pto wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:59 am Science... what it is and what it isn't. my favorite topic. and yes it (the word, not the pure practice) is indeed used as a sledgehammer. rather than go on and on... i will just leave one of my favorite Feynman quotes: "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."
Well stated.