Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish on Collings i35lc Vintage

erbonics

Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish on Collings i35lc Vintage

Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:22 am

Has anyone had success using virtuoso polish and cleaner on their i35lc Vintage?

I am afraid the product will seep into the cracks of the checked finish and turn white.

Any tips on how to remove arm haze and keep instruments with checked finish clean would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Frank Sanns

Re: Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish on Collings i35lc Vintage

Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:07 am

I am not a fan of polishes in general. A polish typically has fine abrasives (the white residue) in it to remove impurities and imperfections from a surface. If you have an old, non clear coated car a polish is a great help. For a fine guitar, I think it is not necessary. There are plenty of cleaners out there that can help if a bit of plain water does not do enough.

If you feel the need to put a slippery protective coating on, choose one that does not look opaque (a sign of silica or other abrasives) or one that is a detailer. Typically detailers remove some grime but still wipe away with no residue.

maplebaby

Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:19 pm

erbonics wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:22 am Has anyone had success using virtuoso polish and cleaner on their i35lc Vintage?

I am afraid the product will seep into the cracks of the checked finish and turn white.

Any tips on how to remove arm haze and keep instruments with checked finish clean would be much appreciated.

Cheers
The I35LC Vintage is an aged guitar from Collings. I find Collings aging process the most authentic I've seen. That said I'm not sure why anyone would want to polish an aged guitar when great efforts have gone in to making it looked aged ? Collings process is to use cold air to crack the finish in an authentic fashion, anything applied to the guitars finish would almost have to find cracks. I don't mean to be an irritant, but I can't understand why anyone would want to polish an aged guitar?

elambo

Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:10 am

I bought their cleaner/polisher combo. The cleaner I've used and liked. The polisher I've not felt the need to even open.

Red Oak

Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:09 pm

Great observation!

erbonics

Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:43 am

elambo wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:10 am I bought their cleaner/polisher combo. The cleaner I've used and liked. The polisher I've not felt the need to even open.
Did you use the cleaner on the lc vintage with good results?.

I have used the cleaner on products without checking in the lacquer with great results.

I am afraid it will seep into the cracks and get stuck.

maplebaby

Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:24 pm

erbonics wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:43 am
elambo wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:10 am I bought their cleaner/polisher combo. The cleaner I've used and liked. The polisher I've not felt the need to even open.
Did you use the cleaner on the lc vintage with good results?.

I have used the cleaner on products without checking in the lacquer with great results.

I am afraid it will seep into the cracks and get stuck.
I think you fear is valid and would be exactly what would happen. Totally don't understand 'polishing' an aged guitar but if i was trying to get off sweat perhaps i'd use a different approach all together, i like Quick Detailer by Meguiars

pto

Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:31 am

you folks probably know this, but Collings "aged finish" is actually a very clever formulation that shrinks/cracks on it's own, or something like that. i think it's an incredibly beautiful look (i'm normally not into the aged look on anything unless it's real, long-term aging and wear). the Collings look is fabulous. because of the checking, i'd be very careful not to fill the checks with anything that will build up, turn white or attract dirt and dust. Bill used to recommend Pat Wilkins' guitar polish. it is clear and non-abrasive. it is safe on collings varnish. you can get it from Wilkins' site via email. On the vintage instruments that i've had, i have only used deionized water, as our buddy Frank Ford has long recommended, to keep those checks from attracting dirt.
Last edited by pto on Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

erbonics

Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:26 am

pto wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:31 am you folks probably know this, but Collings "aged finish" is actually a very clever formulation that shrinks/cracks on it's own, or something like that. i think it's an incredibly beautiful look (i'm normally not into the aged look on anything unless it's real, long-term aging and wear). the Collings look is fabulous. because of the checking, i'd be very careful not to fill the checks with anything that will build up, turn white or attract dirt and dust. Bill used to recommend Pat Wilkins' guitar polish. it is clear and non-abrasive. it is safe on collings varnish. you can get it from Wilkins' site via email. On the vintage instruments that i've, i have only used deionized water, as our buddy Frank Ford has long recommended, to keep those checks from attracting dirt.
Excellent post thanks for your reply, I will try deionized water first and maybe the Wilkins product if all else fails.

Red Oak

Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:43 pm

Please keep us posted. And good luck!!