Arm dampener

Ranren

Arm dampener

Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:01 pm

In my first and recent post I told y’all about an exceptional 2008 D2H-SB that I got last week. My first Collings.
Please explain to me why this guitar has absolutely no noticeable volume or tone change when I rest my average sized arm on the bout while playing. Is this something magical Bill accomplished with all his guitars? Or is this one a freakish exception?
Every guitar I’ve owned, and have had many, will dampen once an arm gets thrown over the bout to play. Stands to reason, right? But this Collings doesn’t seem to care about reason.
The more I play this guitar the more I fall in love!
Not so with the Martin HD-28LSV I got the same day. And on a side note: With my BG playing style I needed to raise the action by replacing the bone saddle with a taller one and that, of course, helped its tone and volume a lot. Anyway, as per usual with most guitars I’ve played or owned, the arm will somewhat hamper its sound.
There have been very few guitars I’ve played—belonging to someone else—that seemed unaffected by this “armed robbery”.
Is there a known reason for this positive, and rare outcome?

DenverSteve

Re: Arm dampener

Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:26 pm

What are you used to? I've been playing guitar for over 40 years professionally and I've never observed any decrease in tone or volume when holding a guitar properly - regardless of brand.
Shalom, Steve
A Few World-Class Tools..........

pto

Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:45 am

never had that problem. if i understand...

Red Oak

Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:23 am

DenverSteve wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:26 pm What are you used to? I've been playing guitar for over 40 years professionally and I've never observed any decrease in tone or volume when holding a guitar properly - regardless of brand.
Excellent observation.

Voxbox

Sat May 13, 2023 9:34 pm

I’ve noticed that forearm skin contact with the top increases the dampening effect. The simple cure is to wear a long sleeve shirt or a jumper.
I sometimes do a wah-wah effect with my bare forearm on the top though 😉