Deep Body OM opinions wanted

Dogsby

Deep Body OM opinions wanted

Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:34 pm

Hi all. I am going to soon be placing an order for an OM1 with a few custom options and I am wondering about peoples experience with the deep body option. To start with I am moving away from dreads to OMs. My thinking is that the deep body should get me a little more depth and bass while still retaining some of the OM clarity. I can play with a pretty heavy handed attack at times ala Neil Young, but also do Guy Clark type finger picking 60-70% of the time.

Comfort wise the added depth to the OM will be a non issue for me. I’m just looking for something that might split the difference between the sometimes overpowering boom of a dread and the focused sound of an OM. Sort of an OM sound with a little more depth, which is what I wonder if the deep body provides.

I initially was thinking of going the Santa Cruz OM Grand route, but I prefer the Collings tone, consistency, fit etc.

Anyway…tell me what ya think.

Greg Y

Re: Deep Body OM opinions wanted

Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:38 pm

I'd be inclined to check out the 12 fret 000 Collings. They're a very powerful guitar....& might offer a little more 'something' than an OM DB

Dogsby

Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:49 pm

Greg. I agree with you on the 000 being a good option as well, I was thinking about the 000 with baked sitka, but I don't think the vintage now neck profile which is my favorite neck in the world, is an option. I'm not sure the 1 7/8 neck wouldn't be too much, and when going to 1 3/4 it looks like the bridge would get pinched to 2 3/16". If anyone plays a 000 and would care to chime in on the neck profile that would be great.

Slowlearner

Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:35 pm

I play a 0002h as my main guitar. The nut is 1 13/16 rather than 1 7/8 ( I think that’s the standard- not sure if Collings does a 1 7/8). When I got it I found it very quick to adjust to. I didn’t need to change my technique at all, but I did find that my playing was very quickly more accurate with less mistakes ( I am primarily a finger style player). This has become my favourite nut width and my other two guitars are the same. I think there is some variation in the neck carve. Mine has a clear V ( a soft one) and I’ve played other 000s that had slightly chunkier necks- I seem to remember a topic on Collings neck variation but this might have been on the old forum. It’s probably worth trying one in person if you can.

in short I love the neck on the 000; to me it plays like a dream!

Good luck in your search

Greg Y

Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:22 am

Dogsby, Since you're ordering custom, you could get a 000 with a 1 3/4" nut width. I'm betting you could custom size the string spacing at the bridge..... I've had Ds with 2 3/8".... As mentioned Collings standard nut width on the 000 is 1 13/16".....