NGD - C10 Deluxe Varnish Hog/Adi

rambler

NGD - C10 Deluxe Varnish Hog/Adi

Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:26 pm

Hello - again - to many of you folks. I used to be a semi-regular on the old board, but didn't really make the transition over here. I've been playing more electric/gigging over the past few years (and consequently spending less time with my acoustics). But, I am glad to see this site up and running and having some action. I am also glad to see some of the old names.

My GAS got the better of me on this business trip to Nashville, and I walked out of Carter Vintage with a 2009 C10 Deluxe Varnish, Hog/Adi, no pickguard, aftermarket compensated saddle and K&K installed. It is a banger.

I was able to get one of the small "soundproof" rooms and A/B a whole host of modern and vintage guitars. I had a preconceived ranking based on the website inventory going in, and the C10 was not the leader. In fact, I've always been a Martin-style guy and not found a Gibson style that did it for me - even though I appreciate the Collings models I have played.

This C10 boomed at first strum and filled up that little room. I've played other C10s and have been impressed with the punch they pack for their size, but this one really boomed. Great EQ across the range, loud and punchy. Sustained forever. Went with me wherever the pick attack took it. I tried a bunch of really good guitars against it and it beat them all (at least it beat everything that wasn't at least 2X+ the price. But it beat a lot of those, too). I expected that I was going to like some of the other boutique guitars they had more (e.g., Bourgeois and Posch), and I tried to stay away from dreads but did pick up a few. I was really surprised at how it surpassed the other guitars head to head. I finally just laughed to myself and said "well, I guess I'm taking this one home." I am assuming it is in large part due to the varnish, but it is just a different animal.

I was also putting their mandolin selection through the paces, but again didn't find anything that I preferred to my old vanilla MT. Maybe it is my ear or my lack of mandolin ability, but nothing I played there was significantly better.

I have my guesses, but if anyone can tell me why Collings no longer offers varnish as an option I would appreciate knowing. I've tried to search the forum for the answer, and while I expect it has been discussed I could not find it.

Thanks for letting me share. I'm really happy to be taking it home, and look forward to more discussions on this site.
Attachments
C10 in case.jpg
C10 in case.jpg (79.56 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
C10 Deluxe Varnish Hog/Adi (2009)
D1 (2004)
D2HASB (2005)
MT (2005)

"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations
Ah! Well, I have really good days." Mother Blues - Ray Wylie Hubbard

uponamouse

Re: NGD - C10 Deluxe Varnish Hog/Adi

Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:25 pm

Welcome (back) to the forum! Thanks for your post, and congrats on what looks and sounds to be a great guitar. It's funny how our ears sometimes have a lesson to teach our minds...

As for varnish being discontinued, my guess is that it was a time/cost decision. The varnish finish was highly labor intensive/took a lot of time (hence the $2k charge for it), and at some point (my guess) the time it took was hindering overall production and preventing Collings from filling as many other orders from dealers. It's also possible that the initial demand for the varnish option decreased after the excitement and hype settled down, and that could affect choosing to discontinue it, too.

But, as the owner of a varnish OM1A, it was a great option while it existed!!

Acoustic Music Works currently has a used D3 in Madagascar Rosewood and varnish...
Cheers, Tom

rambler

Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:46 pm

Thanks, Tom.

I figured it had to do with the time and effort that varnish required - which definitely made the upcharge necessary. I just hate to see it go - it is a unique option. And, was wondering if anyone here had the inside scoop or official word on why it went away.
D1 (2004)
D2HASB (2005)
MT (2005)

Greg Y

Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:58 pm

I don't know the actual reason, but I'll agree that the varnish guitars were something special tonally. I had a very fine lefty D1aV varnish, that sounded as spectacular as a guitar could be. I do know the varnish guitars took up a lot of space for long periods of time due to the process & the Collings shop just isn't that big. I would imagine eventually the demand died down, especially due to the cost. Collings also introduced the traditional series which was a big departure from the original tonal palette....it the created a demand. Like Bill's beautiful cases, the varnish finish is gone but not forgotten. Enjoy your new guitar....that's a special one.
Attachments
IMG_8622.jpg

pto

Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:53 am

i've bought 3 used varnish guitars in the last couple years and i love them. had a new one and sold it early on... not knowing how special it would become tonally and patina-wise after only a couple of years. i learned my lesson. good work!

Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:23 pm

Congrats. I saw that one on their site & thought it looked great. I own a varnished OM Adirondack/Madagascar and can attest to the sustain. Post some video or sound clips for us.

Somewhat related, the more recent thin satin finishes seem to contribute well to the drier tone of the traditional series. I have a OM1AJL that offers a great contrast to my OM varnish. Different playing experience for sure making it easy to justify two OMs.

Flakyfoont

Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:33 pm

I landed a varnish AMh CJ awhile back that looks like your C10's big brother. Not having sampled a V before, and hearing of the special care recommended for a newer one, I am surprised just how hard and durable the finish is after a few yrs of curing. Very little pick wear at the sound hole, but none down by the bridge as on my others.

rambler

Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:08 pm

Yep. Mine lacks a pickguard (according to spec sheet it was shipped with the pickguard uninstalled but included, sadly I don't have it. Not that I would put it on, but would like to have it because I am a packrat . . .) but doesn't show any signs that it needs one. I assume the prior owner fingerpicked a lot, but that is just an assumption.

The varnish has a really cool patina to it - a couple buddies played it this weekend and commented on the cool vibe the varnish gives to the look.

I really like this guitar. It is probably going to cause me to move on from a 000-18 I have because my time playing a small bodied hog is going to be with this C10 going forward.
D1 (2004)
D2HASB (2005)
MT (2005)

Red Oak

Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:16 pm

Great,great guitar!
Play it in good health!

Brazad

Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:53 pm

Greg Y wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:58 pm I don't know the actual reason, but I'll agree that the varnish guitars were something special tonally. I had a very fine lefty D1aV varnish, that sounded as spectacular as a guitar could be. I do know the varnish guitars took up a lot of space for long periods of time due to the process & the Collings shop just isn't that big. I would imagine eventually the demand died down, especially due to the cost. Collings also introduced the traditional series which was a big departure from the original tonal palette....it the created a demand. Like Bill's beautiful cases, the varnish finish is gone but not forgotten. Enjoy your new guitar....that's a special one.
That sure is a pretty guitar, Greg! :)

Gary