Thinking of putting a skunk stripe on my OM2H

jannusguy

Thinking of putting a skunk stripe on my OM2H

Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:26 pm

Ya'll probably think I'm nuts but hear me out. I'm waiting on a 2012 OM2HSB to arrive. I bought this knowing that there's a center seam separation that's gonna need addressing. I've sent some pics of the crack to various luthiers in my area to get their input. Most say that they can certainly cleat it/glue, humidify, or whatever to close the seam but being that it's a sunburst, the crack will always be visible. That seems to be the consensus anyway. if the tone and playability are satisfactory then the cosmetics are secondary. I'm getting it at a price that reflects the condition (which otherwise is just fine). I've been thinking about how I always liked the old Gibsons with a skunk stripe, and I understand why the stripes were added. Many of us do things to personalize our instruments for many reasons. Tuner changes, pin changes, pickguards, etc. I'm considering this. I think it would look good! Better than the crack. Curious to hear your thoughts. Have at it!

Frank Sanns

Re: Thinking of putting a skunk stripe on my OM2H

Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:22 am

I have seen some crazy looking guitars. Mostly I think it adds to the uniqueness of the instrument. People pay extra for a distressed guitar so a stripe is much more refined. As usually beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

DenverSteve

Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:28 pm

Old thread but I came across it and was wondering........ hmmmmmm........ was this ever done? I thought it sounded ... unique... and certainly not something I would do but....... did you? I was/am still confused as a "skunk stripe" would be on the back of the neck and this sounded like a center-seam repair which should be doable without any (or minor) evidence if done properly.
Shalom, Steve
A Few World-Class Tools..........

Red Oak

Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:58 pm

jannusguy wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:26 pm Ya'll probably think I'm nuts but hear me out. I'm waiting on a 2012 OM2HSB to arrive. I bought this knowing that there's a center seam separation that's gonna need addressing. I've sent some pics of the crack to various luthiers in my area to get their input. Most say that they can certainly cleat it/glue, humidify, or whatever to close the seam but being that it's a sunburst, the crack will always be visible. That seems to be the consensus anyway. if the tone and playability are satisfactory then the cosmetics are secondary. I'm getting it at a price that reflects the condition (which otherwise is just fine). I've been thinking about how I always liked the old Gibsons with a skunk stripe, and I understand why the stripes were added. Many of us do things to personalize our instruments for many reasons. Tuner changes, pin changes, pickguards, etc. I'm considering this. I think it would look good! Better than the crack. Curious to hear your thoughts. Have at it!
Do what you want but to me, this is blasphemy.