old growth sitka option

dansprucefir

old growth sitka option

Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:03 pm

Hey all,
I have been hearing some buzz about a relatively new option from Collings: old-growth sitka. This is not the Alaskan Blue reclaimed stuff that they used in a few guitars a year or so ago but something new (at least I think it is new). The folks in the shop seem to be pretty crazy about it (recommending it over Adi or German for an OM1). Does anyone have any experience or information about this?
Thanks in advance!
Dan
P.S. The 001A that I received a few months ago is better than I even expected!

pto

Re: old growth sitka option

Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:44 pm

the first word that comes to mind is "marketing." :) that said, you can't go wrong with a collings recommendation. I had not heard any buzz, but, by doing a search just now, i reminded myself of the Collings 2023 NAMM offering(s). In the (sold) example at Down Home Music, the old-growth is from a bridge. old-alaska-bridge-reclaimed Sitka has been used for years, at least back to 2000 in my experience. luthiers such as Michael Hornick (i had one - 2000), Richard Hoover and Rebecca Urlacher (i currently have one of hers), and i'm sure many others, have all built with this reclaimed Sitka. the results are always terrific, again, in my experience.

dansprucefir

Re: old growth sitka option

Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:22 pm

Thanks pto! My understanding is that this new stash is from an extra old sitka spruce that was cut down and that it is not reclaimed. They have said that it reminds them of torrified sitka.

I was surprised about the enthusiasm with new builds since they have decades of experience with Adi and German. But they seem very excited about it!

Dan