I’m not liking recent Collings bursts

godfreydaniel

I’m not liking recent Collings bursts

Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:54 pm

I’ve noticed some recent Collings sunbursts seem to be expanding up towards the bridge on the lower bouts. They look off balance to me. I’m also seeing some darker bursts that I’m not crazy about. Historically I thought most Collings bursts were amazing.

Here are some examples from what’s currently available at Thunder Road Guitars in Seattle:

https://thunderroadguitars.com/store/ca ... s/Collings

Compare those against the Collings gallery page:

https://www.collingsguitars.com/custom- ... c-guitars/

Georgelange

Re: I’m not liking recent Collings bursts

Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:34 pm

Maybe they have a new guitar painter who just hasn’t got the technique perfect yet? Who knows

catndahats

Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:12 pm

Hmmmm....I would not have noticed the differences and can't really discern that much difference, but I'm not a big sunburst guy.
Funny since the first Collings sunburst that really wowed me is the one on the new-ish 000 limited edition that they are making.
To my eye, that is a stunning sunburst!

pto

Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:46 pm

well, i see what the OP is talking about, at least with that sample size. that said, at least in my experience, it's tough to get accurate digital pictures of bursts in general. the default software on most cameras, especially if taking in-camera-processed Jpegs, tends to over-saturate (because that's what the camera manufacturer thinks we want). the net effect to me, is that the blending zone tends not to look as gradual as it really is. In addition, there always is variation depending on the craftsman spraying, as well as the look they tend to favor or want to reproduce of a certain, say Martin or Gibson, burst: lots of variation even in the old days. of interest, perhaps, back in the early 90s i was at Gryphon and RJ had just gotten off the phone with Collings. they had decided, for the time being, to do only one kind of burst, Martin's, for both the martin- and gibson-inspired models. Save time or something. very Un-Bill-like:)

godfreydaniel

Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:59 pm

There are definitely some issues with the digital photos at Thunder Road regarding gradients. They make the Gibson-inspired examples here look particularly bad. My main issue is the expanding dark outer area on the lower bout, the 002 14 fret being a good example of what I’m talking about.