Why is This Forum Dead?

29er

Why is This Forum Dead?

Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:27 pm

I love my WL-12 and have also owned a WL-14 and WL-S Deluxe. The only question I have in my life is why this site is so quiet? :lol:

Frank Sanns

Re: Why is This Forum Dead?

Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:48 pm

The deadness of the site may in fact be partially my fault. I had tried to create sub forums for specific instruments and other discussions. It could be that it is too much clicking for most that want to stay in their own interest area. Perhaps it was a tactical error for me to split so many things. up. The number of members is only around 1,200. That leaves very few in each subject group i.e. the Waterloo or Mandolin forums or the general discussion or the wanted to buy forum.

A mature Collings market and changes in online participation probably does not help the situation.

Be curious to hear if others will chime in being that we are in the WL forum. Good test.

29er

Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:27 pm

Thanks, Frank. Don't blame yourself. Waterloo is a niche brand with relatively few instruments in circulation and those lower numbers likely are part of the reason for a low traffic site. Still, I have several guitars and whenever I grab my WL-12 it reminds me that Bill hit the bullseye when he brought the Waterloo line to the world. They are special instruments. I wish I had the means to own each model in the line.

Frank Sanns

Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:27 pm

I remember the year that Collings had the first one at the winter NAMM. It was not released yet. Bill played that thing endlessly for multiple days there. We were talking, he was playing. I can still see his face and the joy and pride that he had with the Waterloo line.

Great instrument for its intended purpose. If you get it, you totally get it. If not, then people cannot understand the magic of the Waterloos.

Wood&Steel

Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:43 am

What is the “intended purpose” of the Waterloo line that differentiates them from other Collings guitars?

Frank Sanns

Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:42 pm

The intended purpose I think is perhaps the opposite of how the line came to be. Collings guitars have the reputation of being top quality for looks, finish, sound, playability. They are premier instruments.

The history of the kind of guitar that inspired the Waterloo line comes from a different lineage. Unlike being Martin or Gibson inspired, the Waterloo came from generic, poorly built and playing, cheap, depression era guitars. These guitars had a response and a sound that was present in the heart of the music of the period and carried over for decades.

Collings took that idea and made a well built, easy to play, similar sounding guitar series. Some people love the raw sound. Others not.

Quote from the Waterloo website

"ODE TO AN ERA
Founded by master luthier Bill Collings, the Waterloo guitar line is a look back in time to when there was a genuine need for soulful tone that could be coaxed from simple instruments. The blues, country, and folk music played on these instruments was made in heartfelt response to the hard times of the depression era. It was music heard in work camps and barn dances, kitchens and honky-tonks, porches, street corners and churches. These musical styles became the roots of popular American music for decades to come. The Waterloo brand is all about capturing the voice and spirit of the very best depression era guitars in well-made and very playable instruments."

godfreydaniel

Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:34 am

I think the main reason this Waterloo forum is so quiet is because Collings isn’t making them anymore (yes, a new one pops up every once in awhile). It’s a shame. I understand Collings makes more $ on Collings guitars, but I think the Waterloos were a great idea. I’ve tried some Iris guitars, and they had their own sound, but I prefer the Waterloos. I play my WL-S more than any of my other guitars. I let a WL-12 go, and regret it.

Wood&Steel

Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:55 am

How is this sub-forum any different than the main forum?

Frank Sanns

Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:52 pm

Dilution of content into too many places.

When people come to the site, they may only want to talk about Collings guitars or buy and sell. Having so many categories means many posts are never seen so they are not responded to. You can see by the number of views in each sub forum how many people are looking. Some have very few lookers.

This site has more sub forums than the last. I am not sure that is the entirety of problem but it cannot help with the lower membership numbers here.

rambler

Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:31 pm

It’s quite disappointing. The old forum was very active and full of great posters and info.
C10 Deluxe Varnish Hog/Adi (2009)
D1 (2004)
D2HASB (2005)
MT (2005)

"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations
Ah! Well, I have really good days." Mother Blues - Ray Wylie Hubbard