Custom OM42 - Old Growth Sitka?

mmon_tpa

Custom OM42 - Old Growth Sitka?

Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:27 pm

Hi All,

I am commissioning a custom OM42, and right now I have it selected with Old Growth Sitka/EIR. The guys at Collings pushed this old growth sitka hard, and from everything Im told, it sounds like a good option. There are only one or two videos on YouTube showcasing the sound. Does anyone have any opinions on this "Old growth Sitka" vs say European Spruce which they now call it instead of German on their site? Also, would building an OM42 spec'd with OG sitka/IRW be a mistake? Ive owned an OM3 with regular sitka/IRW and I absolutely love the sound, and maybe Im one of those people who for better or worse discount sitka/IRW because it is so common, but part of me is thinking that Im already spending all of this money, why not go all out and pay the massive uncharge for Madagascar, or something special. IDK, maybe some of you can share your thoughts here on which direction I should go.

Thank you in advance.

Matt

Frank Sanns

Re: Custom OM42 - Old Growth Sitka?

Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:12 pm

Sitka is a great wood. The key with all woods is the tonal quality. There is a ton of sitka out there and most of it is good. There is some out there though that is superior.

Not to bring up another guitar brand but Martin uses different grades of sitka on their guitars from their entry level all of the way up to their 45 series guitars. It is not just the bling that goes up, it is the quality of the woods. The point being that high grades of sitka are on some of the finest guitar brands on the planet.

My guess is that the Collings old growth is some older harvested wood that has the top in tonal qualities and looks. With any type of wood, that is a win. If they are recommending it, then it must have a noticeable advantage in roundness of tone and dynamic range.

Much of what you choose will be your playing style. If you are going to push your OM very hard with a flat pick then Adi MAY be a better choice. Anything short of that and Sitka is a wonderful choice.

The European spruce is also a good choice but I tend to like the variant called moon spruce. Forget the lore of the moon but consider that the slowest growing trees at high altitude have some things going for them. Sitka from the right places too. Slow growth means tighter rings and potentially more uniformity. No guarantees but it is a general statement.

As for backwoods, they tend to be more the filters of the sound. EIR is a great wood for nice rich tones. Mahogany will be more fundamental with tones. Madagascar with more lushness.

I do not think there are any losers there but consider what you really want. If you are desiring Madi and you go with EIR, then even if the EIR is a great choice but you will not quite be happy, go with the Madi. IF not then go with EIR and be happy! I would be happy!

mmon_tpa

Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:55 pm

Thank you for the input, Frank! You helped make the decision. I do flat pick, but it's more strumming/singing with some lead lines. Not like playing in a bluegrass band where I need the headroom of Adi. So, I just called the dealer, and went with the Old Growth Sitka/Madagascar. There is a pretty hefty uncharge for Madagascar, but I figure Im already going for it with the 42 style/ 45 inlays/ torch headstock, might as well go all the way and make it special. Collings only puts out quality guitars, so Im sure the wood combo will sound good.

Thanks, again!

Frank Sanns

Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:12 pm

You only go around once. Enjoy it! Please share picts (and video) when you get it. We like eye candy here.

Frank