Need advice on string height

jsalvaggio

Need advice on string height

Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:46 pm

Hey there,

I recently purchased a new Collings D1 T from an authorized dealer. The guitar arrived safely, it sounds incredible, and was built with the highest level of quality that we expect from Collings.

Unfortunately, the string height at the 12th fret is much higher than I’m used to. It is measuring 3/16” and the neck is almost dead straight. The part of the bridge saddle that is sticking out is also measuring 3/16” at the low E.

My dealer is willing to take the guitar back, but I’m hesitant to get something different (he doesn’t have another D1 T to replace it with).

Is this higher action normal for a Traditional series? I’ve owned other standard Collings in the past, and the action was much lower and easier to play up the neck.

Not sure what to do?
John

JohnFrink

Re: Need advice on string height

Tue May 07, 2024 1:14 am

Hi John,

It's hard to tell without a photo, but if you're measuring action height from the bottom of the 6th string to the top of the 12th fret and you're reading 3/16", that's about double what most folks would call a normal action. It's not normal for a Collings Traditional model: factory spec for the bass side is 3/32". To bring your action down to factory spec you'd have to lower the saddle by twice the amount you want to lower the string at the 12th fret, namely 3/16" ((3/16" - 3/32") x 2), and that's all the saddle you have showing above the bridge; that would take your saddle down to nothing: zero saddle height. I recommend you have a competent luthier examine your guitar if you intend to keep it; I'd have expected your dealer to check the action height before shipping it to you.

Hope this helps.

John
Bourgeois OM CB HS, Collings OM1T, OM1Mh, OM3Mh, RainSong CH-OM-N2, Santa Cruz OM, H13