D'Addario 12-53 Lights vs, Martin 12.5-55

Teja

D'Addario 12-53 Lights vs, Martin 12.5-55

Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:11 pm

My new Collings OM2HC came strung from the guitar store with Martin Lifespan Light/Mediums, a nice halfway between Lights and Medium at 12.5-55
Many posts on The Collings Forum recommend sticking with D'Addario Lights (12-53) and Collings own website says OMs can take the tension of full mediums (13-56) without any harm. Martin also used to make their regular 4150 (uncoated) 12.5-55 light/medium set, which can still be found on Reverb & ebay (some reviewers have claimed they were significantly better than the Martin Lifespan replacement.)

I wondered if anyone else here had tried the Martin Light/Medium set on their Collings, and had any thoughts about preferring/disliking their tone compared to the D'Addario lights?

A side note 🎵 is, I have a new set of Santa Cruz Parabolic Tension Mids, which I bought because of their tag-line's insistence that "Gauge Means Nothing, Tension Means Everything." Sounded 'wise,' so I put a set on my Martin D-28. Didn't love 'em, put D'Addario lights back on.
But I wonder if I should ever try the second new set on my Collings OM.

Thanks in advance. Great forum!

Teja

Re: D'Addario 12-53 Lights vs, Martin 12.5-55

Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:05 pm

Well, this question has been up for about a week, and no replies. I thought is was a useful question, as different strings do make your guitar sound different, and there are other good strings out there beyond the recommended D'Addarios.
But perhaps there's already been too many string comparison discussions on this forum, and little renewed interest. So...back to trial & error, I guess.

Silly Moustache

Fri Jul 12, 2024 9:27 pm

Hi Teja, this and other fora don't seem to get as much traffic as they deserve. I don't use an OM as I only play 12 fret Collings and my equivalent is my 0002h, which is possibly my favourite Collings guitar.

I would say that I have only used lights on it - both Ej16s and Martin MA540 (T) and both have driven the guitar perfectly well, so I have never been drawn to change from the suggested gauge.
What I WOULD say, is that I have recently changed to D'addario XS PBs (although I don't "need" coated strings), and they seem to make my guitars fuller and louder and are a pleasure to play.

DenverSteve

Sun Jul 21, 2024 12:10 am

Like Silly said, infrequent and few posts here so I only check in a couple of times a month. I do use lights on my Collings. I like a softer feel and easier bend. I find no loss of tone or volume doing so. As I use different strings on different guitars I can check what mine Collings are wearing when I get home next week. I’m currently in L.A. recording/working.
Shalom, Steve
A Few World-Class Tools..........