New member and an Old(er) guitar

Rmccamey

New member and an Old(er) guitar

Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:10 pm

New to the Forum but not new to Collings. In the late '80's and during the 90's, I started hearing these "booming" guitars at bluegrass festivals around the country. They did not have the Martin script on the headstock and they had a much more powerful voice and projection. I soon discovered these were Collings guitars. Being made in Austin, I had to check them out and it was not long until GAS hit hard, so I began saving my money until that fateful day!!! About the same time, I was struggling with my playing. As most of us have done, I started with and played dreadnaughts for many year and they were getting "bulky" to me and just less comfortable than I wanted. I began to look more closely at the smaller bodied guitars and the OM bodies just seemed to "fit me". So, when the big day came to order, I took a chance and, well, "what a long, strange trip it's been" - and I mean that in the very best way!

In 1998, I became the proud owner of a brand new Collings OM3 Sitka/Koa. As much as tone is important, instruments are also a visual media and I've always loved figured woods on guitars. This Koa is amazing both in sound and in visual appeal. I can't keep my eyes off her! Collings did not brand their cases at the time, so mine was sent in an American Vintage Series Tweed case by TKL.

(And I've included a few examples of my other hobby - collecting vintage hats. One pic shows a 1930's Berteil bowler from Paris. The other is a Peacock green Stetson Stratoliner from the 1950's.)

Thanks for having me. I hope to learn more from everyone here.
98 07.jpg
98 07.jpg (59.33 KiB) Viewed 8439 times
98 06.jpg
98 04.jpg
98 04.jpg (88.99 KiB) Viewed 8439 times
98 03.jpg
98 02.jpg
98 01.jpg
98 01.jpg (121.38 KiB) Viewed 8439 times
RM
------
Retire? What am I going to do, sit on my front porch and play my guitar all day? Hell, I already do that!
Charlie Daniels

Red Oak

Re: New member and an Old(er) guitar

Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:31 pm

Welcome to our neighborhood!!

Your guitar is gorgeous.

Play it in good health!!!