New here. Just got an OM2H

Jklotz

New here. Just got an OM2H

Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:40 am

Hi guys, just got an OM2h baked top. My 1st Collings. I've wanted a Collings for as long as I can remember, but the stars finally aligned for me with this one. Anyway, just wanted to say hi and show off my new guitar. :D

Re: New here. Just got an OM2H

Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:42 am

Looks fantastic. Enjoy it!

uponamouse

Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:10 am

Beautiful! Welcome to the family. I hope you enjoy it for years to come.
Cheers, Tom

Wproffitt

Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:06 pm

I can’t get over the color of the rosewood on the back! I’m sure it sounds just as beautiful.

Hokiebob

Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:12 am

Welcome. Thanks for posting the pictures. That is a beautiful guitar. I'm certain that you will enjoy making music with it for years to come.
Bob

Mr. Jelly

Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:38 pm

I bet that sounds wonderful. That back grain does have alook to it. I like it. Have fun!

Jklotz

Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:49 pm

Thanks guys. Yea, the back has a bit of purple to it. Not sure if that comes across in the pics. A bit of back story:

I went into my favorite LGS a few days ago and played some guitars. There was this one Collings OM2h with a baked top that just blew me away. I wasn't really looking for anything in particular, and generally speaking, I'm not a fan of cooked tops, but this one had some real magic going on. I played it for a bit and handed it back.

That evening, I just couldn't get the sound of that guitar out of my head, but for some reason, I started to question if the neck was too skinny for me. By the time I woke up, I had it in my head that it was. But I still couldn't stop thinking about it.

I went back the next day and spent some quality time with it in a room alone. The more I played it, the more I began to realize it wasn't that skinny. Not like a Martin MLO, it had a little more heft than that. They left me alone for an hour with it. (Thanks Maple Street Guitars!) I really took my time with it and played a lot of different stuff, capod, different tunings, etc. I had to make sure.

Long story short, I know they are having a difficult time getting inventory, like everybody else, and I've got quite a few electric guitars that haven't been played in quite some time. I took 3 of them down there to see what they could do. Jeez, the price of used has skyrocketed! When the dust settled I walked out with my first Collings and a deal that I was really happy with!

I'm taking a break from playing for a bit. I've played it so much my fingers are killing me. Moral of the story - sometimes 1st impressions aren't always right. There is some real magic going on with this guitar and I'm thrilled to have it. I can't tell you the last time I was this excited about a NGD!

I've got to give a shout out to Maple Street Guitars. They are just a pleasure to do business with. I asked them to lower the action a bit. They cut me a new saddle so I could keep the original one intact and set it up perfectly for me with new strings. They are really a top notch shop.

uponamouse

Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:45 pm

Now that sounds like a great store, and a great experience for you!
Cheers, Tom

Mr. Jelly

Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:47 pm

That is awesome. You had a great experience and you went about it in the best way possible. I totally agree that first impressions are flawed. I generally don't care for a quick try of an unfamiliar guitar. That is a keeper.

Hokiebob

Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:44 pm

Sounds like you didn't just find a good deal but started a solid relationship. I love when I find a business that cares about customer satisfaction.
Bob