New member here with WL-K and WL-S

mcmars

New member here with WL-K and WL-S

Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:37 pm

Hello all, I did not realize there is a waterloo specific forum, but recently found you all. I have the WL-S and WL-K and bought them new about 3 ago years from a great vender in SE Colorado. First I got the WL-S and was wowed by the great dry vintage "stella like" tone for fingerstyle blues and perfect out the box set up. It was priced right before Collings had their price increase a few years back. Then I saw they had the WL-K in stock for a while and I sprung for it as well. The WL-K is just amazing how it vibrates so intense, I feel my whole left arm buzzing when I play it. The silking on the top is just beautiful. Not sure if I could ever part with either of these guitars and I have a had a few go through my hands.

Probably the closest I will ever get to owning a Collings, I am old Austin gal from school days in late 70's-80's and remember when Collings got rolling, should have got one then, lol. But really, I would rather have a simple well built guitar without all the frills or worry about scratches or dents, and a guitar I can bring out to a festival, workshop or gig. I just think the whole concept behind these waterloo guitars is perfect. I hope Collins will get things together soon and start making these again, be a real shame it they stopped production forever.

I have had some vintage instruments, but they are always a love hate deal with issues, so the waterloos are a great choice for those of us who love fingerstyle vintage blues. As an aside, I know I would love the 12 fret all mahogany WL-12, so if anyone here is thinking of letting one go, let me know, might have to get one someday.

29er

Re: New member here with WL-K and WL-S

Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:52 am

Welcome. There is not much activity on this forum but there is some good info to be found! I'm a fairly recent Waterloo owner myself with a WL-12 that I bought used which was followed up by a WL-S Deluxe, also purchased used. I have a friend who owns two Collings and he was just floored by both of my Waterloos. Like you, I hope they get production going again but they need to keep the lights on so I understand why they are focusing on the Collings line. Enjoy your guitars!

Mr. Jelly

Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:35 pm

Welcome! Waterloo ladder braced guitars are my sound. I have a Waterloo WL-S, Waterloo WL-S Deluxe and a Collings 001T. I can't say enought about them. Over the years I haven't had any issues with them. I play them everyday and sometimes twice a day.

mcmars

Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:34 am

Thanks everyone! Yeah I love my WL-S, ladder bracing is a great thing for blues, might re string it tonight. I normally use the DiAdarrio 80/20's, but found some John Pears PB in my string collection and might see how it sounds. Surprised no more activity here, seems like there should a few waterloo's out there now. I wonder how many WL guitars Collins has made up till now??

Red Oak

Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:51 pm

mcmars wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:34 am Thanks everyone! Yeah I love my WL-S, ladder bracing is a great thing for blues, might re string it tonight. I normally use the DiAdarrio 80/20's, but found some John Pears PB in my string collection and might see how it sounds. Surprised no more activity here, seems like there should a few waterloo's out there now. I wonder how many WL guitars Collins has made up till now??
Can’t go wrong with a Waterloo! They are great guitars!

drjond56

Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:49 am

Welcome to the forum. I am a constant follower but infrequent poster. Great discussion here though. Collings 02-E has been my main guitar for years, but I am really a 12 fret fan. Hence a recent opportunity on a Waterloo WL-K. I totally agree with your assessment. I do a lot of fingerstyle blues, gospel, and Celtic and this is the perfect axe for that. I do surprisingly little strumming but have found that the WL-K can cut through in a mix. Amazing guitar regardless of price, which was actually very favorable.

Jon

mcmars

Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:50 am

Hey Jon, yes the WL-K is like the under spoken secret of waterloo guitars, maybe the 11 gauge strings scares people away, but it has such a beautiful tone. The WL-S really nails that classic vintage prewar tone of the old catalog style instruments, the stellas, regal, kay, that we have all played, but the WL-K is so different, sweet and unique.

Red Oak

Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:09 pm

Great description. The Collings company with its many fantastic choices continues to raise the acoustic instrument bar!!