New truss rod arrangement on Traditionals - Noticeable difference?

Tempotantrum

New truss rod arrangement on Traditionals - Noticeable difference?

Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:31 am

Hi All-

I have a D1ATS build completion of 4/20 - serial #30251. I understand this may be prior to the new truss rod design, but I thought in an email from Mark A. they indicated it did have that that design (I cannot find that email now). Anyway- I was wondering what difference folks have experienced between the two designs? Is it a significant difference? I have heard some people mention a magnet test to confirm - any idea what that entails?

Thanks

adirondack&spruce

Re: New truss rod arrangement on Traditionals - Noticeable difference?

Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:59 am

Magnet Test:
A small magnet(nickel size or smaller) will hold directly in the center of the neck, if its the new neck design.
If it's the old design, it will pull to either side(towards fretboard)

I've owned both T models(D1AT) with both necks, i prefer the newer one. Hard to describe, exactly what's going on sound wise. But my ears much prefer it. (Not to take anything away from the older models, those are amazing as well)

Hope that helps
Enjoy the D1ATS !

JohnFrink

Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:20 pm

Tempotantrum wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:31 am I was wondering what difference folks have experienced between the two designs? Is it a significant difference?
Thanks
I've owned OM1Ts with both neck support designs, and I couldn't hear a difference that was distinguishable from the ordinary minor differences in voice between any two guitars of the same make and model. I do recall that when I lifted one with the new neck support out of its case for the first time I thought the neck felt lighter than I expected, and I liked that feeling.

The magnet test is definitive, but remember to cover the magnet surface with masking tape or something similar to avoid damaging the neck's finish.
Bourgeois OM CB HS, Collings OM1T, OM1Mh, OM3Mh, RainSong CH-OM-N2, Santa Cruz OM

Tempotantrum

Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:40 pm

So just for future research purposes - My serial # is 30251 completed 4/20/20 (ha!) and in an email from Collings, they indicated it had the new truss rod design. Additionally, the "magnet test" indicates this does indeed have the newer design. I have seen some threads around the net indicating the design was used 100% after #30400, but I can confirm it was used (at least sometimes) earlier. This makes sense in that they were marketing this feature right at the beginning of 2020 with some of the marketing materials featuring Chris Eldredge(sp?). In my own experience compared with non-traditional D's, this guitar is very light and resonant. How much of this can be attributed to the neck bracing vs. the many other changes - who knows. But in summ, this is my favorite Collings ever.

Mr. Jelly

Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:39 pm

So I'm sitting here asking myself the question 'Should I check my Collings 001T?' Then I thought what difference does it make to me. I like the guitar as it is and besides what can I do about it. Maybe, someday, or not. ;)

pto

Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:32 pm

even if i could tell a difference, i wouldn't know to what the difference between two guitars was due...

remco

Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:42 pm

The difference is between your fingers on the same model!
Remi

Haasome

Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:06 pm

I get a kick out of the “forum fuss” over tweaks. I’ve owned 8 Collings guitars in just about every size. My 2 favorite Collings are the ones I kept over the years. They are standard models. I’ve played the newest options Collings has developed including Traditional models, satin finish, new neck connections, torrified wood, etc. and think they all sound great. However I can’t credit any particular feature change to create an improved tone. I think the variability between individual instruments might be greater than the tweaks. If pushed I’d say I prefer the Standard series guitars, but if individuals hear something different, enjoy. They are all great instruments.
Paul