The Missing Traditionals

Slowlearner

The Missing Traditionals

Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:50 pm

Reading some of the posts here re traditionals reminds me that I have been awaiting a huge attack of GAS at the launch of the 0002hT (my favourite model). To date though I’m still waiting. Over the 10+ years I’ve been a Collings fan a lot of models have had a redesigned option - C10 to C35, CJ to CJ35 and 45 and the many models of the traditional line. In fact there very few models untouched: the 000 is one with, I think, the DS and SJ.

Of course a guitar company has to focus on D and OM as they are the biggest sellers, but anyone care to speculate (or know) why these models remain without a T?
Last edited by Slowlearner on Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Y

Re: The Missing Traditionals

Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:45 pm

Good question Slowlearner & a hard one to answer. I waited 20 yrs for a 14 fret 00.... & by the time it had come around i had bought a vintage one. The 000 is a great guitar. I had an 0001G. Killer good.... & the perfect iteration for the thin finish T treatment. Like you, i can only assume that it's because the 12 fret models just aren't that in demand....too bad.

jwills57

Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:44 pm

Hey, Slowlearner--Funny you should mention this. Would be a great guitar, for sure. I love the OOO 12-fret presentation. Another interesting model I doubt we'll ever see developed by Collings is the OOOO, which I think would round out the Traditional Series lineup really well. Didn't use to see many of these from Martin but more and more seem to be available. Gruhn Guitars always seems to have a few in stock as do other dealers here and there. I've got a couple of handmade OOOOs from a luthier named Pat Foster. Beautiful, powerful guitars, a combination of OM and dreadnought in one body, almost.

Greg Y

Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:49 am

jwillis, As you say, we'll never see a 0000 round out the traditional line. I agree.... because the 4x 0 is is a modern guitar and not a traditional one. Martin never had a 0000 until 1977 when they introduced the M-38. Matt Umanov converted an archtop into a 0000 in 1967 for David Bromberg. For some it's a useful guitar, but it's by no means a traditional instrument.

Bluesandswing

Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:13 am

I cast another vote for a 0000. For me, there simply is not a better size and I never cease to be surprised they are not more popular.....although...they do seem to be very popular with folks who really know guitars; Vince Gill, Jorma, Dave Bromberg, Mike Dowling, etc.....all are known 0000 players. I have been hoping Collings would offer oner for years. Since I'm guessing that won't happen....I'm considering a Santa Cruz version. As to the Traditional aspect...while its true the 0000 does not have its roots in the 30's and 40's classics...I would argue that the idea of the Collings Traditionals is more about the build philosophy; the use of thin finishes with no plastic undercoats, the lighter bracing, etc.....I think its those things that make a Traditional a Traditional. I think therefore a model like a 0000 although (again) not rooted in the 30's and 40's would certain quality for the Traditional line if built with the Traditional build philosophy. just my .02 cents.

Greg Y

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:34 am

Bluesandswing, you make some good points. I wouldn't characterize Vince Gill as a 0000 player....even though he's used them. The man has an enviable collection of fine vintage instruments. You're right about the traditional being a build style. Collings is still a small outfit, and during Covid they can't keep up with orders on Collings & Waterloo. I just can't see them jumping on the 0000 bandwagon. IMO It's still a niche guitar, and as mentioned Collings still has guitars in its current line-up that haven't been made available with the traditional treatment.

adirondack&spruce

Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:58 am

Id like to see a DS 12 fret model.

Eric Jones

Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:00 pm

adirondack&spruce wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:58 am Id like to see a DS 12 fret model.
+1. See and hear...

gemcity

Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:02 pm

Slowlearner wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:50 pm Reading some of the posts here re traditionals reminds me that I have been awaiting a huge attack of GAS at the launch of the 0002hT (my favourite model). To date though I’m still waiting. Over the 10+ years I’ve been a Collings fan a lot of models have had a redesigned option - C10 to C35, CJ to CJ35 and 45 and the many models of the traditional line. In fact there very few models untouched: the 000 is one with, I think, the DS and SJ.

Of course a guitar company has to focus on D and OM as they are the biggest sellers, but anyone care to speculate (or know) why these models remain without a T?
If you played my 9-y-o 0002-12H slothead ivory butter bean tuner button 1 3/4, 2 5/16 G Madi SS Cut no-FB-marker Var aging toner top, I think you’d find nothing lacking you’d hope for in a “trad.”
If I kicked it around the house with a little love to scuff it up, I can easily imagine it in the hands of Norman Blake or Nancy.
In other words, you have so many options available for custom build including some not advertised that I don’t know what you are waiting for—spec and order YOUR guitar!
And time your factory tour so you can watch Bruce pull your top out of the stack and tap tune it in front of you, amazing.
Have fun, worth the wait.

jwills57

Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:51 am

Hey, Bluesandswing--Thanks for the post on the 0000. I'm going to write the folks at Collings a letter, just to say I gave the idea the good old college try. If you're hankering for a great OOOO, I can highly recommend a luthier by the name of Pat Foster; he builds traditional Martin-inspired instruments, as well as, lately, classical guitars. I asked him several years ago if he might be interested in building me a couple of OOOOs; he was quite enthusiastic about the idea and the guitars are just incredible. Top-shelf construction, fit and finish, and set-ups. He's really meticulous in his work. Plus, he uses a varnish finish, which I happen to love, and the guitars really do have an old-time, organic look and feel to them. And I think one could be had at a price quite a bit less than a Traditional Series Collings, which is what Pat's guitars remind me of. Anyway, just a thought.