Lifting Bridge...

TravH

Lifting Bridge...

Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:00 pm

Hi,

I just noticed a very slight gap on the back of the bridge on my ~2018 D1A. The thickest I could get under it was with some paper that measures ~.006" thick. It went under ~1/8". I can't figure out how to add photos.

Humidity has been steady 40-50% and it's been cased more than played by far. Sounds fantastic!

I recall on Martins they didn't strip the finish from the entire bridge footprint so they would often "lift" with RH changes and not coming undone per se.

How concerned should I be?

I guess I should contact Collings...

Thanks,

Trav

Flakyfoont

Re: Lifting Bridge...

Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:57 pm

I had one Collings do that. An easy fix for a capable repair person and pretty reasonable as I recall.

JeffM

Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:24 pm

My 1993 D-2H has a slight lifting on the bridge. I can get a piece of paper under part of it. It doesn't seem to change, so I left it alone, Unless it is growing, I would suggest leaving it alone.

Frank Sanns

Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:18 am

If it is moving at all, I would have it repaired. If not, then it may never move again and no reason for service.

I had a classical guitar that came with a bridge lift. It was not moving but after a year, it was bothering me so I had it repaired. The repair was excellent and it was good as new. The only problem was the sweet trebles were gone, never to return again. I sold the guitar after a year because it was not the guitar I originally purchased.

This is an unusual circumstance as most bridge repairs do not change the sound but it is always a possibility.