Am I Being Too Picky?

Jklotz

Am I Being Too Picky?

Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:33 am

Picked up a new Collings OM2H baked top a few weeks ago. You may have seen my NGD post. Anyway, guitar is great, but the TKL case has a misaligned lid. It can be closed but you have to put a good bit on pressure on the hinge side of the lid and force it a little. Case went from dealer to my house and hasn't moved since. Looks brand new. Since in my possession, it hasn't been hit, dropped or damaged in any way.

At the end of the day, this is a pretty small problem. But I did email Collings and they got me in touch with somebody from TKL. I'm just wondering your thoughts on this. Should I just let it go? I really don't want to be THAT guy, you know, the one who sends his pumpkin spice latte back because there is not enough foam on top.

BTW - Dealer has been great, Collings CS is great. I'm not complaining about either of them. Just want to know if you think I'm being a jerk for bringing this up.

Frank Sanns

Re: Am I Being Too Picky?

Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:27 am

I would have been happy with yours.

My new $6k Collings, from my local authorized dealer came with this case last year. I protested but they insisted it was new and was ok. Needless to say, I think it was very poor form.

Greg Y

Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:46 am

Jklotz..... that is exactly why Bill started building cases. The misaligned lids have been a TKL issue for years. Both Mark Althans & I had TKL 0 sizes cases with the problem.
Frank, I haven't seen a TKL case without the flat bar latches or with brass fittings for years. I'd talk with your dealer some more,...... & maybe give Steve or
Mark at Collings a call.

Wproffitt

Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:21 pm

You’re not being too picky. The TKL case that came with my brand new OM1-T last year looked great when it showed up, but the *first* time I took it out of the house to rehearse, but the handle started coming apart. I reached out to Mark at Collings and he reached out to TKL and they sent me a new handle. I wished this hadn’t happened to begin with but was pleased that they made it right. If you contact Collings, I’m confident that they’ll make things right.

Eric Jones

Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:49 pm

I also had a single-0 TKL case in 2013 on which the lid did not align well. I mentioned it to Collings and they had to tell me to live with it. I guess that was their only option considering they’re sending out a thousand TKL cases in a year.

Frank, there seems to be no way that Collings would ship that case out of the factory. Not believable.

Frank Sanns

Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:06 pm

I don't want to derail this tread with my issues but will give an investigative update. What I thought I was purchasing a year ago was a NOS that was labeled as used as many dealers do. The guitar was completely unplayed. Factory fresh so I did the deal. When the case came out for it to be boxed up, I expressed my dismay. I figured it was probably not as bad as I thought it was and I am not really into cases so much so I let it go.

Today, after Eric Jones' comment, I looked at the case and the guitar serial numbers. Turns out it is an early 2009 guitar! So what did I really buy for a nearly new price? A NOS 12 year old guitar and a beat up case? I am guessing so. My bad. Maybe I trust my dealer too much or maybe I just misheard something. No finger pointing as I still love the guitar but am really confused over this.

markT

Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:37 am

Frank Sanns wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:06 pm Turns out it is an early 2009 guitar! So what did I really buy for a nearly new price? A NOS 12 year old guitar and a beat up case? I am guessing so.
It looks like that is the case Frank....pun intended. For what it's worth, I like those older TKL cases better than the new ones which can be hit or miss....and the OP describes.
Collings would never ship out an old, scratched up case. (Which by the way has some nice patina growing on those latches! Some folks pay extra for that!! :D )

Unfortunately, they will ship new TKL cases with poor fitting lids and poor performing latches. Again as James, the OP here shows.
I actually think/thought the TLK quality control has gone up since Collings stopped making their own. Maybe that was part of a deal...?
None the less, James, I would see it through and get a replacement case. . I have had this happen and it was rectified.

I agree with Greg....precisely the reason Bill wanted to make his own cases.
Jklotz wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:33 am
Just want to know if you think I'm being a jerk for bringing this up.
No....You deserve a case that functions flawlessly....Like the instrument that resides in it!

Jklotz

Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:40 pm

An update: Got this email from TKL this morning:

"regarding your Collings case - Collings would replace your case and I will pick up the case you currently have with the lid problem. If you do not have a box to send the defective case back in, you can wait until you do get the new case.."

So, looks like they are taking care of it."

Haasome

Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:31 pm

You can’t beat Collings. I think they have the best QC for the things they make and the best customer service. I’ve contacted Mark about guitars I’ve purchased 10 years ago and they respond like it was sold yesterday. I’m glad this worked out for you so well.
Paul

Derek

Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:42 pm

Looks fine to me from that photo. There is a little pressure on the guitar from the padding when you close the case. Nothing wrong with that, especially on a brand new case as padding will compress down a bit over time. The alignment also looks fine to me.