Buying 1st Collings Assistance

mquibble

Buying 1st Collings Assistance

Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:19 pm

New member considering buying my first Collings. I’ve never seen one yet, in person, but have heard great things about them. I have an eye on a 2018 D2HT torrefied Sitka. I know everything is subjective but would be interested in learning everyone’s perspective. Here are the few questions I have.
Sitka or Adirondack?
Any issues that I should look for?

One last stretch question. CME has a D42HAT for sale. What’s a fair price for a used one?

Thank you all so much in advance.

Michael

Mr. Jelly

Re: Buying 1st Collings Assistance

Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:52 pm

I can't be specific about the guitars you mention. My experience has been a slow walk into the Collings guitar group. For whatever reason I was standoffish. Somewhere I had this feeling that they were stiff. I got into Waterloos and love them. That changed my perspective of Collings. I also have a Santa Cruz 00 sitka/hog and then I got a Collings 001T. The tone and clarity is impressive as the workmanship is also. Other guitars sound muddy to me now. Especially Martins.

catndahats

Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:59 pm

Welcome to the forum, MQuibble.
FWIW, I bought my first Collings (a DS1) 20 yrs ago, sight unseen, never played one even though I live near their shop...it was the best/biggest guitar move I ever made.
My first was lightly used, bought it on the phone from Cotten Music in Nashville.
Years later and several Collings later I can say they age very well if reasonably kept---just like any other fine guitar.
My oldest is 25yrs old, purchased used, and aside from normal wear and tear, is in great shape. I've bought both new and used, and both are just great builds and wonderful to play.
My newest is a 6yr old standard D2H...sitka/rosewood. It sounded great the day I bought it new, and years later has only improved. Personally, I like the softer tone of sitka...but that is very subjective. I can't think of any issues besides wear and tear to look for (just like any used guitar). Play before you buy is my best advice. Just my $.02.
Keep us posted!
Nate

Jklotz

Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:43 pm

I'm somewhat new to Collings, so I'll leave the rest of your questions to the more experienced, but I do know about sitka vs adarondak (which is technically red spruce). Sitka is the softer of the two, and typically will have a softer attack while being more responsive when played quietly. Red spruce will take more to get the top moving, but has higher headroom and can cut better in a mix. Typically, red spruce tops take a good while to break in. Keep in mind there is a lot of variation in the two, and depending what the builder does with it, there can be quite a lot of overlap. For reference, Engleman would be the softest, sitka in the middle and adarondak the hardest when comparing Collings offerings. A lot of folks like sitka because it tends to be the most versatile. One of my favorite guitars has a sitka top with adrarondak braces.

You should still try them for yourself though. While I think most folks would agree with the generalizations I stated above, at the end of the day it's got to feel good to your hands and sound good to your ears regardless of what it's made from.

As a side note, I'd love to see what Collings could do with a cedar topped guitar. I know they probably never will, but I'd be most interested to hear it if they ever did.

Greg Y

Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:24 am

jklotz, Back in the day Collings did make some cedar topped guitars in the early 2000s. If i remember correctly, there were apparently some issues with bridge adhesion & Bill decided not to build any more cedar topped models.

Tempotantrum

Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:40 am

Hi Michael - Welcome to the Collings forum re-boot (there was a pretty active forum a while back and this new platform is still getting rolling). I think I have seen you over on the UMGF? If so I think you might have a nice 39' D18AA (and several others). If so - I think I can offer some perspective as I have been a long time Collings fan but also love a good Martin and recently bought a 39' D18 AA. The two brands are very different - I often hear people say certain Collings sound "more like a Martin", but I think that is not the right way to think of them. They are very different in great ways - but I never expect them to try and sound like each other. The new Collings Traditionals are built with more traditional Martin construction techniques, so they are overall lighter with somewhat larger necks. They tend to feel "looser". Some were built with hide glue, thinner finish, similar bracing, etc., but they still sound like a Collings to my ear. Even the new traditionals like my D1ATS maintain what I think Bill was after - a very strong fundamental with great balance and projection. Less dynamic from bass to treble (meaning tighter spectrum of sound vs. some Martins which can go from very deep bass to bright trebles). Very powerful. Overall I think Collings are very consistent - it is unusual to find a dud or even a defect whereas Martin can vary widely and defects on new ones are not uncommon. As far as tonewoods - that may depend on your playing style. Collings dread have headroom for days which is why so many 'grassers love them, but they are also responsive enough to play fingerstyle. One of Bill's favorite combos was Mahogany and Adirondack and I think the D1A variations are still among the most popular. As a flatpicker - I prefer Adirondack. I have a Brazilian OM42 with Adirondack - so I like it over rosewood as well even on smaller bodies.

I think Collings fit and Finish is the best without a doubt. They are a joy to play. In the end it is another color in your palette .

Tempotantrum

Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:52 am

Also - i just checked on the D42 you mentioned at CME. I think that is a very good price, especially given they are offering the no-longer made Collings case with it. Pretty much everyone loves them and they were $1000 retail when you could get them. A far as the 42 styling - Collings does an amazing job looks as good as my 2004 OM42BaaaA. I dont think that guitar will be there long.

mrzig

Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:26 pm

I’ve owned many Collings and Waterloo of every configuration. Mahogany and Rosewood versions. I’ve stuck with a baked D2ht as the one that fits best for me. Fingerpicking, flat picking, strumming, open tunings - it does it all. I like how the Sitka plus the torrefication takes the edge off the standard Collings sound which some people feel is part of the early (esp pre-traditional) sound.
It can be a little loose in the bass compared to other models, but that’s the expected D28ish sound, and I do wish it had the earlier fat neck carve, but overall, it’s sonic perfection.
The first day or two, fyi, I did not like it and had regrets! But either it loosened up, or the strings mellowed, or my ears adjusted, but it all fell into place. It just has that perfect depth and 3D quality, but with snap, sparkle and bark.
Good luck!

armdog

Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:06 am

Welcome to the forum.

Collings red spruce guitars are special but also are their German spruce models. Grandpa syndrome and a shoulder problem forced me off the dreads a few years ago. Currently own a short scale red spruce CJ. I've prev owned a D1A, D2H.... but by far my fav dread was a D2HG (german top).

best wishes, dreadless in ATL, bert

6l6

Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:48 pm

I've owned a number of Collings guitars (all dreads) over the years since I bought my first one at Gryphon in 1999.

That first one is still my favorite and it's a '99 D-1. Out of all the others (pair of D2H's, pair of D2HA's, D-42AV...), it's still my favorite. I've demo'd many Traditionals, but they are not my cup of tea (sound too much like a Martin. If you want that sound, buy a Martin Authentic).

My recommendation: Scour the ads and find a clean used D-1. Should run around $3K for a nice example. You'll never look back!

Bill