OM1 vs OM1 T Thoughts/Opinions

mattmar10

OM1 vs OM1 T Thoughts/Opinions

Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:17 pm

For those of you that have played standard vs traditional models, is there anything that the standard line does "better" than the traditional line? Are there specific types of music or playing styles that are better suited for one vs the other. I know its largely an individual preference, but I'm just curious if there are any general consensuses. I went to my local Collings dealer last week to check things out for myself, and unfortunately, they are extremely low on inventory (on many of the major brands). They had only 1 Collings left - a very nice 002. Unfortunately, they are looking at a 2 year backlog due to supply chain, etc... :(

For those of you that have played both, would be interested in hearing opinions.

Frank Sanns

Re: OM1 vs OM1 T Thoughts/Opinions

Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:47 am

In general, the Traditional models are warmer with a little less sparkle. One of the criticisms of the original Collings was they they were somewhat strident. I personally do not see them that way especially as they age. They tend to have a little more spring to the string response. The traditional have mellowed that down some so they have a more worn in sound. To my taste, it is a little too much but people love them.

If you like Martins, you will probably love the traditional series over the originals. If you want ultra clarity in each note, then the classic is the way to go.

You really need to play them to find out for yourself. They are also different across models so you really have to play them.

JohnB

Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:08 am

I prefer the standard Collings OMs and have both an OM1A and an OM2G. They have a slightly more complex, or full, voice that for me supports vocals more completely and convincingly. They are also exceptional finger style guitars: though both how and what one plays determines which guitars work best. The OM Traditionals are just more lean than I prefer for the material I play and sing.

I don't feel this throughout the T range. I've come to prefer the D1AT to the standard D1A--although I don't think either of these exceptional guitars is necessarily the best large guitar for vocal accompaniment.

Some years ago, when I was looking to order an OM for my son I asked the folks at Collings for their advice about the standard and traditional models. The response was that the Traditionals offered a different voice, not a better voice, and that the choice between the two types would vary from player to player. That the Ts are more expensive reflects, I believe, the extra cost in manufacturing the Ts to bring them closer to the leaner vintage Martin sound. The standards, however, are remarkable guitars that, as the folks at Collings said, will suit many players (and singers) better than the Traditionals.

mattmar10

Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:35 pm

Thank you, Frank and John, for your input. I really do wish I could sit and play them, but unfortunately there are none around to try.

Haasome

Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:21 pm

I’ve owned quite a few Collings from 00 - D. My favorite models have been OMs. There are 2 Standard OMs that have been with me a long time, and I expect they will be with me until the end. I’ve tried T models on many occasions with the idea I would add an OM T to my lineup. However, I find the clarity, balance and total range of the standard models more pleasing to my ear, given my playing style, touch and hearing. The Ts are fantastic and worth a look.
Paul

zaam

Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:06 pm

I have an OM2H T with baked Adi top that is my favorite guitar of all time, hands down. Tons of dynamic and tonal range and I can brighten the sound with a different pick if I need. That said, I do love the standard builds of OMs that I have played. Is just a different voice. Not drastic but each has its character.

The other consideration is whether you like the T neck or standard C/soft V on a Collings. Again, it’s not a huge difference but at the end of the day you might prefer one over the other.

If I were considering a purchase I would spend a few $ and travel to a store that had several in stock. Money we’ll spent, IMO.

Red Oak

Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:32 pm

ricky wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:22 pm Hey Buddy, are you still looking for OM1 vs OM1 T Thoughts/Opinions ?I’ve one I'm willing to sell. Kindly send me a text at +1 509-436-0218 or email rickyrio142@gmail.com.Thanks
Thanks for posting! Which of the two models do you have?

DenverSteve

Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:16 pm

I have both and they are very similar. Either by itself is a world-class guitar. The only way you will tell the difference is if you have them together and A/B them. Otherwise, you simply have two different, fantastic guitars.
Shalom, Steve
A Few World-Class Tools..........