Darkening of baked tops

Frank Sanns

Darkening of baked tops

Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:15 am

I decided that since the forum was a little slow, I would initiate some posts for people to contribute. Things that might be interesting to discuss.

The first question in this series is about color changes of baked tops with time. They have only been out for a few years but I am wondering what they look like after some time and light exposure. I really like the color and look of old sitka and wonder what all of you are experiencing with the cooked tops.

Comments and pictures welcome.

Eric Jones

Re: Darkening of baked tops

Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:11 pm

Frank,

Thanks for the topic. I don’t have any torrefied wood, so I can’t answer your question. But from looking at many photographs I can say that it makes for some beautiful sunbursts. I’m not a fan of the darkening at the center seam that seemed to be common in the early days, but not as much recently. I wonder if the torrefaction process was changed to get a more even darkening of the top woods.

armdog

Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:48 am

I'm wondering if a sunburst limits the darkening and also the torrification process? My luthier built small jumbo is torrified carpathian spruce with a sunburst, it's almost 3yrs old and no change is what I see. My other two 'non-torrified' sunburst guitars, 2008 Collings CJmhA and 2001 Santa Cruz VJ don't seem to have darkened either. no science just observation.

Maybe it's too soon to really tell, but my 32yr old sitka Martin OM (like below) is what you're talking about I do believe.... bert

Frank Sanns

Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:15 am

Eric,

I think early on, some builders were pushing the baking process a little too far. Not saying Collings but some.

These days, it seem a milder set of conditions are being used and that is a good thing.

Bert,

YES! There is that wonderful mahogany and the bourbon colored sitka. No yellow toners, just nature.

I am just afraid that the thermal treatment will destroy the chemicals that will eventually give those wonderful colors. I do not know if that will be the case or not hence my real world question about color change over time.