Collings Case Vs. Calton

Indigoblues

Re: Collings Case Vs. Calton

Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:51 pm

Hello Trav,
I have both Calton and Collings-made cases and only travel with my Calton—just don’t want to risk guitar damage due to rapid temperature or humidity changes. And, I absolutely love the Collings cases for their beautiful design and perfectly executed construction—don’t want them to suffer damage, either.

I keep a hygrometer in the Calton when I travel and can attest that it does an excellent job of maintaining relatively constant humidity—as long as I keep the case closed when I have the guitar out for awhile. I have spent time in Palm Desert, CA (very, very dry) and along the coast of California (very, very humid). The Calton has done equally well in both environments maintaining the humidity inside the case using Boveda humidity control packs. The Calton is very heavy—not as heavy or awkward as the Mark Leaf case I used to use for travel—but heavy.

Another solution to consider if weight is a concern is a Climate Case. These are padded cases designed to fit over your hard case that have a bright reflective coating (similar to Mylar) exterior. The Climate Cases are very light weight (probably less than a few pounds) and could provide some protection for both your guitar and case. Unfortunately, the dealer where I purchased my Climate Case is no longer in business, and I cannot vouch for the one online dealer I found that lists them for sale. Be prepared for some inquisitive stares if you ever carry your Climate Case protected guitar through a hotel lobby as people will think you’re holding some kind of instrument from the NASA space program!

Please let us know if you do track a Climate Case down and what you think of it.

Are you in the Tucson area in February for the Gem and Mineral show?

All the best!

TravH

Re: Collings Case Vs. Calton

Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:28 am

Indigoblues wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:51 pm Hello Trav,
I have both Calton and Collings-made cases and only travel with my Calton—just don’t want to risk guitar damage due to rapid temperature or humidity changes. And, I absolutely love the Collings cases for their beautiful design and perfectly executed construction—don’t want them to suffer damage, either.

I keep a hygrometer in the Calton when I travel and can attest that it does an excellent job of maintaining relatively constant humidity—as long as I keep the case closed when I have the guitar out for awhile. I have spent time in Palm Desert, CA (very, very dry) and along the coast of California (very, very humid). The Calton has done equally well in both environments maintaining the humidity inside the case using Boveda humidity control packs. The Calton is very heavy—not as heavy or awkward as the Mark Leaf case I used to use for travel—but heavy.

Another solution to consider if weight is a concern is a Climate Case. These are padded cases designed to fit over your hard case that have a bright reflective coating (similar to Mylar) exterior. The Climate Cases are very light weight (probably less than a few pounds) and could provide some protection for both your guitar and case. Unfortunately, the dealer where I purchased my Climate Case is no longer in business, and I cannot vouch for the one online dealer I found that lists them for sale. Be prepared for some inquisitive stares if you ever carry your Climate Case protected guitar through a hotel lobby as people will think you’re holding some kind of instrument from the NASA space program!

Please let us know if you do track a Climate Case down and what you think of it.

Are you in the Tucson area in February for the Gem and Mineral show?

All the best!

Thanks!

I had a climate case for my gig bag and it worked great. No longer have either. I had a Mark Leaf too! Great if you never want to move the guitar!

So far out here in the desert with 15% RH and ~80° this time of year my in case hygrometer says I'm steady at 30% RH and 70°-80° The hygrometer is tucked inthe bottom and I have an Oasis Extreme hydration thingy in the sound hole so probably keeping close to 40-50% inside the guitar... In fact I'll put it in the sound hole tonight and see.

I take it out for ~30-45 minutes of playing twice a day and right back in!

Too bad the Calton is so heavy. My back hurts enough getting the Collings case out of its spot.

Thanks!