Action change

Slowlearner

Action change

Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:48 pm

My 0002h is 13 years old and during that time has had very consistent action- no adjustment needed. Last week I changed strings and it suddenly feels higher. I haven’t changed strings or moved it too a different room, it just seems to have changed.

I am a bit perturbed by this and not sure what to do. It’s become higher and therefore more difficult to play. Is it time for a set up or should I try to fix it? I’ve never messed with a truss rod but could this be the answer?

Also can anyone recommend a good action measurer?

Thanks

Hokiebob

Re: Action change

Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:34 am

After 13 years I think that a trip to the shop for a set up is past due. As far as adjusting the truss rod youself, since you've not done it before I'd suggest you let a pro do it.

I don't know where you live but here in Charlotte a set up with a deep cleaning and oiling the finger board is less than 100 bucks.

Trust me you and your guitar will be glad that you did.

If you don't have a trusted and known luthier or guitar tech on speed dial post your location and someone here can probably steer you to one.
Bob

Georgelange

Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:32 am

Yes, don’t attempt to adjust the truss. Please leave it up to the pros.

Red Oak

Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:02 pm

Hokiebob wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:34 am After 13 years I think that a trip to the shop for a set up is past due. As far as adjusting the truss rod youself, since you've not done it before I'd suggest you let a pro do it.

I don't know where you live but here in Charlotte a set up with a deep cleaning and oiling the finger board is less than 100 bucks.

Trust me you and your guitar will be glad that you did.

If you don't have a trusted and known luthier or guitar tech on speed dial post your location and someone here can probably steer you to one.
Great advice from Hoke!!

West R Lee

Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:31 pm

A couple of things Slowlearner, I think you mentioned that you've noticed a rise in action after installing new strings. Though you used the same strings, say EJ17's or whatever, did you install the same gauge strings that were previously on the guitar? Heavier gauge strings can and will raise the action by several thousandths of an inch. The other thing is that I've noticed with a couple of my guitars is that humidity effects the action height. I've got one that plays like a dream all year long, except if it's cold and very dry outside, and by extension, dry inside. Humidification is the key there.

West