Quick Gryphon visit

uponamouse

Quick Gryphon visit

Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:57 pm

Unusual circumstances allowed me a too-rare visit in October to Gryphon Strings in Palo Alto, CA, to purchase a travel guitar (Taylor GSMini mahogany, which is loads of fun). With that accomplished, I played nearly every Collings in stock then, plus a Franklin OM (beautiful soft trebles on that).

I don't have much detail to report, and my memory is fuzzy. I enjoyed the warmth of the CJ 45; I'm sorry I can't recall more about it. The OM1A Traditional had a different voice than my OM1A varnish that was quite pleasing: sweet and dry, a real pleasure to play; less of a "bullet" on each note. "A girl could feel special on any such like."

A used C10 SS varnish had a great tone and playability. I think I played another, but sleep deprivation has robbed my memory.

The point of this post is this: Each of these uniquely toned and excellently crafted guitars could make someone happy, but I am now in a place where I need nothing. That's because my bar has been raised by a B&H OM28 style. My two Collings are great, great guitars with excellent playability and tone. The B&H has a higher level of playability than I knew existed. Each string somehow is heard independently yet melds into perfect balance with the others (particularly noticeable in open tunings). Its responsiveness to touch is truly other-worldly. I can see why its older brother forced the OM1A varnish out of the original owner's house into mine. (Hmm, I might need to move this post to Other Builders...)

Since that visit 2 months ago, I think all those Collings have left Gryphon's store. I'm not surprised, and I'm sure they are making some players happy. I hope some of them can chime in to the forum.
Cheers, Tom

Eric Jones

Re: Quick Gryphon visit

Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:05 am

The Alien? Glad to hear of its continued existence and greatness. If only the rest of us could play it once...

uponamouse

Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:35 pm

Not The Alien, but a younger sibling.

You're welcome to visit California and try it out!
Cheers, Tom

thomaskila

Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:00 am

Sorry, but I have to ask: what make of guitar is B&H?

Frank Sanns

Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:49 pm

Thought the OP might answer but B&H in this case means Blazer and Henkes. Fabulous builders. If you haven't tried one, you should but they are relatively hard to find in the States.

remco

Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:51 pm

Hello,
It is true that B&H are not too well known by you!
You should know that in Europe these two luthiers are also too little known and listed as such, just like Bagnasco & Casati Guitars
which are very much appreciated.
For me it's strange that you are looking for luthiers in Europe, looking for the pure Martin sound, while we in Europe are looking for the best US guitar sounds !!!

Rémi

uponamouse

Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:14 pm

Thanks for your post! I guess "the grass is always greener on the other side of the pond"!

I agree that a number of U.S. luthiers are making great guitars in the Martin tradition. Similarly, Blazer and Henkes were fortunate to get their hands on older Gibson and Martin guitars, and learned some of the techniques and qualities that contribute to their sound.

We live in a golden age of luthiers.
Cheers, Tom