Strings

pjkesq

Re: Strings

Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:06 pm

Santa Cruz parabolic low tension strings. Been playing guitar since 1976 and these are far and away the best strings I have ever used.

dadgad6strings

Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:22 am

I've read a lot of good reviews on the Santa Cruz strings. What do you like about them over standard PB strings?

pto

Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:11 pm

i prefer j16/17 over santa cruz strings for tone slightly. BUT i love the lower tension of the latter.

SWRM4

Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:14 pm

After reading this thread and all the love for Santa Cruz LT strings, I bought a set from stringsbymail for my OM2H. Was excited to try them, but when I got to the last string installed (1st string), the string broke at the ball end when coming up to tune. I trust stringsbymail string set quality, so it left a very bad perception of these strings to me. I may try them again some time, but I have never broken an acoustic string, let alone during installation of a new set. And in case anyone wonders, it's not a user error of string changing. I've been playing and changing for 35+ years. I did leave all the SC LT strings on and just replaced the broken 1st string with an EJ16 string, and initial play time with SC LT did not impress me. I usually use John P PB or EJ16 PB. FWIW

FreeBlues

Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:55 pm

I recently traded/replaced my beloved D1A Varnish for a OM1AT (the dread was becoming increasingly uncomfortable to play, just too large). My go to strings on the D were D'Addario Nickel Bronze, a perfect blend of fundamental and ringing overtones. Nice detail, good clarity, perfect balance, and they lasted a long, long time.

When the OM arrived it was strung with PB's, don't know the brand (the guitar is a 2019, bought used) and it sounded very, very nice. But, as with all new guitars I set out to see if there was "the one" string that best suited. I tried some D'Ad NB's, both the balanced tension and lights, several different brands of phosphor bronze and, most recently the SCGC Parabolic strings. Based on reviews here I had high hopes for the SCGC strings. To give them a truly fair test I left them on for over a month and played them daily for extended periods during that time. Initially I liked them, they were full and fat, but after maybe 3 weeks i thought they just sounded mushy. The detail and clarity I like, and a characteristic I love about Collings guitars, were no longer present. Oh well, worth the trial.

I'm back to D'Ad NB's for the present, although I have a couple sets of 80/20's I want to try. But, based on my past experiences and my present setup I'm pretty sure I'll end up with the NB's once again. May not be for everyone, what string is after all, but I'd recommend everyone at least give these strings a try, they are very, very good.

pjkesq

Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:18 am

dadgad6strings wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:22 am I've read a lot of good reviews on the Santa Cruz strings. What do you like about them over standard PB strings?
Tone and how long they last. I have always hated treated strings, but these are the exception. I just think they are the best sounding strings I have ever used.

Silly Moustache

Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:14 am

A week ago, I changed the strings on my three Collings 12 fret dreads.

I have a D1 which I regard as my bluegrass guitar but I'm not playing in any bands right now so I tried some Martin Bronze mediums sent to be by mistake.

I've always said that I don't care for 80/20s but I've just rechecked them and they are feeling/sounding fine!

On my DS1ASB I used some old stock Martin SPs. I really liked these strings but I fear that have aged poorly in the old packs, but OK (and gold coloured b & e look good!

My DS2h with plan ol' EJ17s has done two gigs now and is fine.

I've been playing another make (Eastman) E20-P with DR Rares and so I've just ordered some more in lights ad mediums for he next change on the dreads.

ToneQuester

Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:56 pm

pjkesq wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:18 am
dadgad6strings wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:22 am I've read a lot of good reviews on the Santa Cruz strings. What do you like about them over standard PB strings?
Tone and how long they last. I have always hated treated strings, but these are the exception. I just think they are the best sounding strings I have ever used.
I used to enjoy the original Collings forum and was bummed it ended a few years ago. Didn’t know about this reincarnated forum until now - so glad I stumbled on it! I found this during a search about strings, so finding this thread was perfect!

I have 4 Collings - OM1, OM3G Cocobolo, SJ3G and for the past few weeks, a D1T baked. After years of experimenting with the first 3, I landed on JP phos bronze lights for the OM1 & OM3G and JP 710 New Mediums phos bronze for the SJ. The JP’s warmth vs other strings is what tipped the scales for me, and the JP 710’s were easier to play than mediums on the SJ and I liked the balanced tension.

For the new D1T (which I am absolutely blown away by!), I went from the EJ17’s that came with it to JP mediums and it sounded fantastic, however, my arthritic wrist was an issue. I then moved to JP bluegrass, which helped my wrist without sacrificing tone/projection, and I thought that would become my go-to. That was until I read about the Santa Cruz parabolics.

I tried the SC low tension set on the OM1 and absolutely love the tone and feel! Only 3 days so far, but the more balanced tone has me hooked. I had the JP lights on for a month, as a frame of reference, and the guitar seems more alive with the SC set. We’ll see how this goes with time.

I tried the SC medium tension set on the D1T and have the same reaction - absolutely love the tone and feel so far! My arthritic wrist is still acting up when playing barre chords though, so with all this background and the reason for this post - for those that have used the SC low tension set on their Collings dreads - is there a noticeable change in tone/projection with the lighter tension and did you require a neck adjustment?

I’ll be getting the D1T set up by a Collings dealer luthier in a couple of weeks and I might get by with the medium tension strings with slightly lower action, but I’ll need to decide whether I bring the medium or low tension SC strings. Your comments on experience with SC strings on your dreads will be helpful. The downside of SC string experiments is the cost and possible neck issues if I try a set of lights.

Greg Y

Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:41 pm

Tonequester, although i don't use the SC strings, I've tried a number of approaches. The first thing is that you might get away with medium strings if you lower the action. If you try both light strings and lower action you may get buzzing, particularly if you play with a heavy attack. My go-to strings these days since i can't seem to get Pyramid or Newtone 80/20 in N America....are Curt Mangan round core. The round core strings have less tension than the hex core. Another thing ....some of the manufacturers offer in-between sets..... either 12.5-55 or alternatively sets that are commonly called "new medium or true medium".... 13-17-24-32-42-56...those can be easier on the hands as well.

ToneQuester

Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:48 pm

Greg Y wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:41 pm Tonequester, although i don't use the SC strings, I've tried a number of approaches. The first thing is that you might get away with medium strings if you lower the action. If you try both light strings and lower action you may get buzzing, particularly if you play with a heavy attack. My go-to strings these days since i can't seem to get Pyramid or Newtone 80/20 in N America....are Curt Mangan round core. The round core strings have less tension than the hex core. Another thing ....some of the manufacturers offer in-between sets..... either 12.5-55 or alternatively sets that are commonly called "new medium or true medium".... 13-17-24-32-42-56...those can be easier on the hands as well.
Thanks Greg. Point well taken about lights and lower action. After several measurements and playing each guitar, I located the primary issue - B string is higher at the first couple of frets on the D1T relative to the others and it’s the F & F# barre chords I’m especially having to apply more pressure to play cleanly, so I may likely just need a nut slot tweak and very slight overall action reduction to make this guitar as comfortable as my others, which were all set up with slightly lower action vs Collings specs.

My question remains though - curious if anyone here has tried the low tension SC strings on their Collings dreads, as that may be a possibility.