Neck Reset

TravH

Neck Reset

Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:18 pm

Hi,

My 2013 untouched D1A 's action is a little high. Most likely adjust by reducing saddle height. Saddle is 4mm tall on D string and action on 12th fret low E is between 2.5mm and 3mm. Let's call it 2.75mm.

I also noticed that a straight edge on top of frets lands ~1.5mm below the bridge whereas I understand it should land on top.

Since string break angle seems to improve tone I'd prefer to keep the full 4mm and wonder since the neck is ever so slightly canted that perhaps a neck "reset" would be a better way to go. I've watched videos of guys doing it by loosening the neck and running sand paper under the neck heel and seem to be all done in less than an hour!

Is it really that simple and an option for simple action adjustments? I know it's border line but since so simple it seems perhaps it should be considered in any fine set up routines....

Thanks!

Trav

Frank Sanns

Re: Neck Reset

Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:09 pm

I am not saying it doesn't happen but the need for a neck reset on a 9 year old guitar seems a little unusual.

How much relief (curve) is along the fretboard when you have your straight edge on it? Is it totally flat or is it arching upwards?

Hokiebob

Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:29 pm

After 9 years a neck reset is probably not needed.
What is probably needed is a professional Set-up. You local Luthier or Guitar Tech can probably bring your guitar back to specs for a hundred bucks or so.
Bob

armdog

Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:41 pm

Often, it does take someone with experience to have the guitar in-hand to diagnose certain problems. What Frank said about the relief +/- in the neck might factor in. Going from summer to winter this year had my 2008 CJ start pinging on the treble side, tweak of the truss rod to add a little relief was the fix, you might have too much relief? I normally keep relief at about .005. After the first number of years I did lower the saddle a bit which is normal for most guitars in my experience.

I mostly do my own setups but go to a pro when I'm in over my head. .02c bert

Silly Moustache

Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:24 pm

Hi, I would tend to agree with most of the above but wondering - has ANYBODY ever had a neck reset done on a Collings ?

Was it simple/complicated, Expensive?
Thanks in advance.

Hokiebob

Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:29 pm

Never needed one but it logically would be easier than on a Martin.

Collings necks are attached be means of a Mortise and Tenon Joint and are Bolted in place. You can reach the nuts for these bolts through the sound hole and can loosen them and then remove the neck.

Many other guitars including Martin are attached by means of a Dovetail Joint and are Glued in place. To remove the neck you have to heat this glue joint and then remove the neck by manipulating the joint.

Of course, i have oversimplified things. Also putting the neck back on and keeping it adjusted just right is a whole 'nother issue.

Removing, adjusting and resetting a neck on any guitar is not for the faint of heart. Unless you have the right tools and the right experience I'd call in a skilled pro.
Bob

Greg Y

Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:57 pm

It's worth mentioning that the fretboard extension on the Collings is glued to the top, like other guitars. A neck reset is not really a DIY project. Bryan Kimsey, who has owned an early CW, and done lots of neck resets on Martins had this to say in answer to the question about whether re-sets are easier/faster on bolt-on necks:

"Yes and no. You don't have to steam the neck off but you do still have to loosen the extension (I do, anyway). You have to pry the bolt plugs out and then, because it's a Collings, you've gotta get the neck/body fit EXACT or Collings owners the world over will scream and Bill will personally call you up and chew on you for awhile.... okay, I'm kidding a little (but only a little)... Really, the majority of the work is getting the neck angle right and I don't see any difference between Collings and Martin. They take me about the same amount of time to do. I spend less time waiting for shims to dry and sanding them down, but that's about it.

Hokiebob

Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:05 am

Something I learned on the Collings Factory Tour. If you or your luthier does need to remove the neck Collings will send you new wood plugs to cover the ones removed to access the nuts holding the neck on. No charge.
Bob

pto

Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:15 am

Here's FF with a great series on a collings reset.

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier ... reset.html

3mm at the low 12th is only 7.5/64.. what we would probably all call "stout" these days, but certainly not indicating need for a reset (notwithstanding the OPs desire to not change the breakover one iota - which would be up to 1/32 off the saddle).

DenverSteve

Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:14 pm

Hokiebob wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:29 pm After 9 years a neck reset is probably not needed. What is probably needed is a professional Set-up. You local Luthier or Guitar Tech can probably bring your guitar back to specs for a hundred bucks or so.
As with any other guitar - This ^^^
Shalom, Steve
A Few World-Class Tools..........