Elliot Capo

Frank Sanns

Re: Elliot Capo

Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:29 pm

Once you have used a G7th cap-o , you will not go back. They are very precise, conform to different necks, and really feel of quality. They may be a little more expensive but the materials and fit and finish are top rate.

G7th on the left in the picture and the Elliot and Chub on the right. You can see the quality differences in the photo.
Attachments
Sanns Capos.jpg

Greg Y

Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:27 pm

Actually Frank, you can't see differences in quality, only differences in design.
both Elliott and Shubb are more or less industry standards in use by pros and amateurs alike.
G7 is the new kid on the block. As well there is big difference between manufacture in a small shop in Texas (Elliott) and production in China (G7)
This past week I was at the Wenatchee River Bluegrass Festival in Cashmere Washington. While there may have been a few G7s around the campground, there was not one to be seen on stage...
Last edited by Greg Y on Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frank Sanns

Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:30 am

It is not my intent to create controversy over these. All of these are good capos.

It is a little difficult to see from the photo but there are two features that I like on the G7th. The biggest is the leatherette padding that lines nearly the entirety of the inside of the capo. This keeps metal from bumping the edge of the fretboard when putting the capo on. I am. not wild about the clanging metal repeatedly against the edge of the fretboard with the Elliot. Maybe if it is your go to unit, you can get put it on without the fumbling that I did with this one. I actually like the clamp on ones for normal playing because they can go on and off quickly with one hand.

The other "feel" is the more precise and no noise threaded thumb screw. Maybe that is important, maybe not. It is just different.

They all do the job. I just happened to amass them for an acoustic project or I would not have so many. I actually have many more. Some experimental from some manufacturers too. Some work well. Some not so much so.

FreeBlues

Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:04 pm

I've been using Elliot capos for years, well more than 10. I've tried others as well, like the G7 clamp on type. In all those years I've never, ever had an issue with the metal on the inside of the Elliot scratching, dinging or in any other way hurting the neck of a guitar. I've also had a bunch of guitars with different neck profiles, all without incident.

I sorta like the ease of on-off with the G7 clamp on, but it doesn't retain the acoustic sound nearly as well as the Elliot.

To me the Elliott has always been the gold standard. I've never had an issue and its performance is unmatched. Maybe a bit expensive, but as been said many times in many places, we spend big bucks on our guitars, why scrimp a few bucks on a capo. You want your guitar to sound its best when using a capo? Elliott is the clear favorite.

Brazad

Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:36 pm

I'm surprised no on so far has mentioned Barry Collins! I own 5 Elliott capos, including 2 brass Elite capos. They are as good as advertised.

Type in "Barry Sheridan Collins" on Facebook and PM him to find out cost and info about his capos. They look similar to the Elliott, they work just as good and are half the price of Elliott.

Right now I have 2 Collins capos on 3 of my guitars. The 3rd has an original Paige (totally different from the current Paige capos, MUCH better quality).

Note to self: you should sell your Elliott capos to help pay for the custom guitar you have coming next year :roll:

Gary