Collings OM1 - Red Mountain Cedar/bs & Sitka

dadgad6strings

Re: Collings OM1 - Red Mountain Cedar/bs & Sitka

Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:52 pm

Hey Backdrifter!

Funny thing about the strings. The person I bought the guitar from didn't play and it was just sitting in the case for quite a while as I understand it. He bought it for his son who didn't want it. It came with only one wound string and the rest unwound when I received it. He included a set of D'addario PB and they sound very nice on it. I generally use d'addario or Elixir's but I'm open to try others.

I've never even heard of SUS but they do sound interesting.

I'm letting it acclimate to the NE since it came from the west coast but I want to do a set-up on it.

johnowen57

Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:57 pm

Another happy owner of an OM1 with Red Mountain Cedar back and sides here. Mine is a 2012 with an Adirondack top. I got it in November from Acoustic Music Works. They were great to deal with and the guitar is a real gem. It looks like it pretty much spent 10 years sitting in the case waiting to be played. It had a tiny bit of fret wear but not a scratch on it. I love the way it sounds - mahogany with just a pinch of brightness to the tone. Plays like a dream too. I'm a little jealous of you two getting the Collings cases with yours. Mine came in a TKL but it works just fine. I'll post a couple of the photos that AMW had on their website when I bought it.
Attachments
Top_sideOM.jpg
gkgse1wydz7hnv4sluue.jpg
BackOM.jpg
2012 CJMh, 20112 OM1A

dadgad6strings

Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:25 pm

Congratulations! Very nice indeed!

I have owned many custom, handbuilt guitars over the years and can honestly say that this Collings OM1 - Red Mountain Cedar takes a back seat to none of them.
Just a superb instrument!

Mine actually did sit a case unplayed for years as I understand it. I'm slowing letting it acclimate to the East Coast and making my set-up adjustments.

Looking forward to years of musical enjoyment as I'm sure you guys are as well.

Red Oak

Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:01 pm

johnowen57 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:57 pm Another happy owner of an OM1 with Red Mountain Cedar back and sides here. Mine is a 2012 with an Adirondack top. I got it in November from Acoustic Music Works. They were great to deal with and the guitar is a real gem. It looks like it pretty much spent 10 years sitting in the case waiting to be played. It had a tiny bit of fret wear but not a scratch on it. I love the way it sounds - mahogany with just a pinch of brightness to the tone. Plays like a dream too. I'm a little jealous of you two getting the Collings cases with yours. Mine came in a TKL but it works just fine. I'll post a couple of the photos that AMW had on their website when I bought it.
Congrats on your beautiful guitar!!! Keep us updated as you familiarize yourself with it!!!

dadgad6strings

Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:07 pm

I'm really enjoying the "new" Collings OM1. I'm still surprised how much I like it since I've owned so many custom hand-built guitars.
I'm taking my time slowly dialing in the set-up -- I'm very picky so I always do my own.

I bought a tortoise strap button from Stew-Mac and KK PU's that I plan to install.
If they start offering the Waverly high ratio tuners with ebony buttons I may get a set. The standard Waverly's are actually totally fine though so we'll see.

What's new with you other OM1 owners?

kh1967

Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:07 am

dadgad6strings wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:53 am I've been looking for an OM1 off and on for quite some time. I'd never actually played a Collings but read so many great reviews about them and was completely enamored by how they are built and the integrity of the company that I had to try one.
After missing a number of opportunities, I was contacted by someone on the Acoustic Guitar forum who had one he wanted to sell. An OM1 with Flamed Red Mountain Cedar back and sides and a sitka top with adirondack braces. We came to terms and it arrived this week. I must say that I'm am very impressed. The guitar more than lives up to the reputation.

Down Home originally sold it and this is the guitar.
https://downhomeguitars.com/instruments ... ka-spruce/

I had not heard of Red Mountain Cedar before but I figured if Collings used it, it must be good. To my ear it is really an excellent tonewood. Very similar in tone to mahogany but maybe a bit more lively. I spoke to Steve at Collings and he said that they had a number of sets and probably built in the neighborhood of 40 guitars with it.

I'm curious if anyone else here owns or has owned a Collings with this wood.
As the original owner of this guitar, I am delighted to hear you like it as much as you do. It is a fantastic guitar, and if I could do it all over, that is a guitar I should have hung onto.

Enjoy the heck out of it!

uponamouse

Tue May 10, 2022 9:12 pm

The Music Emporium in Lexington, MA now has a 2016 edition of this guitar available. Just an FYI.
Cheers, Tom

dadgad6strings

Tue May 10, 2022 10:59 pm

Very nice indeed! If I didn't already have one, I'd be tempted. :)

guitarfan56

Fri May 13, 2022 8:12 pm

johnowen57 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:57 pm Another happy owner of an OM1 with Red Mountain Cedar back and sides here. Mine is a 2012 with an Adirondack top. I got it in November from Acoustic Music Works. They were great to deal with and the guitar is a real gem. It looks like it pretty much spent 10 years sitting in the case waiting to be played. It had a tiny bit of fret wear but not a scratch on it. I love the way it sounds - mahogany with just a pinch of brightness to the tone. Plays like a dream too. I'm a little jealous of you two getting the Collings cases with yours. Mine came in a TKL but it works just fine. I'll post a couple of the photos that AMW had on their website when I bought it.
whats the red binding