C-100

Tremolo Arm

C-100

Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:19 pm

Hello

I am eyeing a used C-100 in sunburst - the standard model with mahogany back and sides.
I have no opportunity to play the guitar due to logistics, so if I buy it, it will have to be unplayed.

Obviously I watched all the videos on youtube but am now keen to get an opinion from the forum regarding its characteristics.

I already have a Martin D-18 which I use for strumming and for that it is really amazing, with a balanced, lush, almost 3D character. I am looking for an instrument which is still good at strumming, but lends itself to more articulate note separation and more projection, especially when finger picked, but without any boxiness.
I was wondering if the C-100 would deliver this?

Greg Y

Re: C-100

Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:07 pm

I have trouble thinking of a more balanced and yet articulate guitar than a D-18. Collings D1A and old Martin 18s have been my choice. Having said that, I can't think of any Collings I've played or heard that wasn't articulate. One of my favourite flatpicking guitars was a Collings 0001G. If the price is right I bet the C-100 would meet your expectations.

GreatWestern

Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:42 pm

Collings tops the chart with clarity, if that’s what you’re after.

I played my first C-100 today, a used model in a shop. It was quite comfortable and had a nice all-around voice. I wasn’t able to compare it to a Martin dread (or, directly, to any other dread, though I played dreads as well).

I’m not actively in the market for a new guitar but if I were, it would probably be a dread.

My sense of the C-100 was that it would be great for both fingerstyle and playing songs with a pick, etc. If one were looking for the big voice of a dread I don’t think this would be a substitute, but for other purposes it would be great.

The one I played had fairly dead strings. Still, I liked it very much.

Red Oak

Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:18 pm

GreatWestern wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:42 pm Collings tops the chart with clarity, if that’s what you’re after.

I played my first C-100 today, a used model in a shop. It was quite comfortable and had a nice all-around voice. I wasn’t able to compare it to a Martin dread (or, directly, to any other dread, though I played dreads as well).

I’m not actively in the market for a new guitar but if I were, it would probably be a dread.

My sense of the C-100 was that it would be great for both fingerstyle and playing songs with a pick, etc. If one were looking for the big voice of a dread I don’t think this would be a substitute, but for other purposes it would be great.

The one I played had fairly dead strings. Still, I liked it very much.
C-100s are fantastic guitars. Period!!!